Are your friends in awe of your creativity? Or, are you already a published designer? Either way, if you have an original idea for STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam, we’d like to hear from you. We are always looking for new ideas, and you could have your design published on our site, in a magazine or project book, or elsewhere.
We recognize that it’s your vision and creativity that keep STYROFOAM Brand Foam fresh and exciting, and we have several programs to help you in your design career. Read more about our Design Purchase Program, Endorsement Fee Policy, and Trademark Guidelines. You’ll also want to check out our Writing Tips.
Questions? Contact Sharon Currier. We’re happy to help.
Endorsement Fee Policy
It pays to design with STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. Our Endorsement Fee Program will pay you a minimum of $50 and up to $150 for published designs specifying our product. To be sure your designs qualify, carefully review and follow the details below. If you have questions about our Endorsement Fee Policy, contact Sharon Currier.
- The Dow Chemical Company will pay a $50 endorsement fee to the designer when the published design instructions specify one shape of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
- Dow will pay a $75 endorsement fee when the published design specifies two different shapes of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
- Bonus: We will double the endorsement fee for instructions specifying three or more different shapes of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. (NOTE: Two or more of the same shape or different sizes of the same shape do not qualify as different shapes.)
- The maximum paid for multiple projects in one magazine is $200.00.
- Dow will pay a minimum of $50 for project books specifying STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Each project book will be evaluated individually and may earn up to $100 based on the content of the book.
- The design must be original and must use STYROFOAM Brand Foam, manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company.
- The design must have been placed in the magazine by the designer (i.e., it cannot be a design placed by Dow). The policy does not cover designs published online.
- Claims must be submitted within six months of publication.
- STYROFOAM™ is a trademark of The Dow Chemical Company, and the published project must correctly specify our product name.
- The word "STYROFOAM" without the trademark symbol does not qualify.
- Generic phrases, such as "plastic foam" or "floral foam", do not qualify.
- For a complete list of trademark specifications, please see Trademark Guidelines.
- The magazine publishing the design must have an audited circulation, as verified by the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC); Business Publications Audit of Circulation, Inc. (BPA); B.P.A. Consumer Audit; or Verified Audit Circulation Corp. (V). Magazines without these designations will be considered on an individual basis.
- The designer must supply a tear sheet or high-quality color photocopy of the design.
- The Dow Chemical Company reserves the right to reject any project or publication considered inappropriate.
- Claims that do not meet the above qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
- The Dow Chemical Company reserves the right to terminate the program at any time without prior notice. Please send your claims to:
P.O. Box 68
Chagrin Falls, OH 44022
NOTE: For tax purposes, please include your social security number or business ID.
Tips for Writing Instructions
Many designers admit that writing instructions is their least favorite part of the job, yet your success, and the success of someone recreating your design, is based on the clarity and accuracy of your instructions. We hope the few tips we've listed below will help take the mystery out of writing instructions, and make it a little easier for you. Also, we ask that you review and follow our Trademark Guidelines when designing with and writing about STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam.
- As the old adage goes, "Measure twice, cut once." Carefully measure every ribbon, fabric, etc., before you use it. Once ribbons are cut or bows tied, it's too late to go back and estimate how much you used.
- Take thorough notes as you design, so that you can accurately remember the steps to making the project.
- Don't take for granted that your audience knows as much about crafting as you do. If you primed a surface or prewashed a fabric before painting, be sure to specify this in your instructions.
- Many magazines will not reduce patterns, so your pattern pieces must fit within an 8-1/2" x 11" page. If your project has oversized pattern pieces, you may have a difficult time selling your project.
- Keep the instructions clear yet concise. A design with three pages of instructions may need more space than an editor can provide.
- If possible, have someone else read through the instructions to see if they can follow them.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread. Be sure you don't call for a black marker when you really meant blue and vice versa. And, don't count on spell check to catch your errors - if you've used the wrong word but spelled it correctly, spell check will not flag it for you.
- Corporations invest a lot of money in creating new products and promoting brand names. You should be familiar with each company's guidelines for using its trademarks. To review the trademark guidelines for STYROFOAM Brand Foam, please see Trademark Guidelines.
Design Purchase Programs/FAQs
What does it take to design for Dow? Take a few moments and read through the list of frequently-asked questions below, and then if you need more information, contact Sharon Currier.
Q: I have a great new craft idea. Who do I contact?
A: Please email Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project idea.
Q: What does Dow do with the designs?
A: We purchase dozens of designs throughout the year for several reasons - we provide them to magazines, post them on this web site, publish project sheets and sometimes demonstrate designs on television.
Q: What sort of designs are you looking for?
A: We look for original design ideas incorporating STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam and today's popular trends. Examples might include a holiday project with today's popular papers and embellishments, a party craft for children, or a wedding centerpiece. We are always seeking new designs for home decor, parties, children, holidays and life's many celebrations. Surf through the project pages on our web site to see some of the designs we've purchased in the past.
Q: Are product samples available?
A: Unfortunately, we cannot provide product samples. The good news is that STYROFOAM Brand Foam is widely available in craft stores and retail chains everywhere. To find the store nearest you, please go to the Store Locator.
Q: What new shapes are available?
A: STYROFOAM Brand Foam is available in more than 50 different shapes and sizes, including balls, eggs, cubes, cones, discs, sheets and blocks. If you can't find the exact shape or size you need, it's easy to cut, glue and shape the foam into just what you want! To view a list of our most popular shapes and sizes, please go to Most Popular Shapes.
Q: How do I know it's STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam?
A: STYROFOAM Brand Foam is white or green and has a slightly rough surface. It's a crisp, clean foam, and it crunches when cut. It does not have a smooth skin and it is not available in extruded heart forms, wreath forms and candy canes.
For dependable performance - foam that cuts smoothly and cleanly, a consistent texture without gaps and holes, and superior holding power, look for the STYROFOAM brand from Dow. Dow invented STYROFOAM Brand Foam more than 60 years ago and is the only manufacturer for STYROFOAM Brand Products.
Q: What do you pay for designs?
A: We pay market price for designs, and each project is priced on an individual basis. Typically, Dow will purchase the model, instructions and copyright for your design. Once the purchase price is determined, you will receive a confirmation in writing.
Q: Does the designer receive credit for the design?
Q: Does Dow have an Endorsement Fee Program?
A: Yes. We will pay from $50 to $150 for a published design that meets our guidelines. Learn more about our Endorsement Fee Policy.