Disc Grid Wall Art
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Wall décor goes mod with this metallic vision of circles lines and not-quite-hidden geometric intrigue. Holographic paper adhered to foam discs sets this art apart!
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Holographic sticker paper, 8-1/2" x 11", nine shee
- Wooden strips, 1/4" x 1/8" x 24", five
- Coordinating metallic-finish spray paint
- Paper trimmer
- Fine-gauge craft wire
- Craft pins
- Carpenter's level
- Small saw or craft snips
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Small nails, two
- 1. Cut two 1" x 11" strips from long edge of each piece of
sticker paper; do not remove paper backing. For each pair of
strips, peel back and remove 1" of paper backing at end of one
strip and adhere it to one end of second strip, creating a
- 2. Trace foam disc nine times onto back of sticker paper and
cut out; again, do not remove paper backing.
- 3. Spread thin, even coat of glue onto one side of first foam
disc. Center one paper circle on disc; smooth paper with
fingers. Repeat to cover all discs. Wipe away excess glue with
- 4. In same way, cover disc edges with paper strips cut in Step
1; secure with craft pins and trim excess. Repeat to cover all
disc edges. Wipe away excess glue with damp cloth. Let dry.
- 5. Spray paint wooden strips; let dry. Use craft snips to cut
three strips to 20" long; cut six 8" lengths from remaining strips.
- 6. Refer to diagram and place discs facedown and 2" apart in a
3 x 3 grid pattern. Check for straightness and accuracy
throughout rest of project.
- 7. Use craft glue to glue three 20" wood strips vertically
across center of each row of three discs; let dry.
- 8. Glue 8" wood strips horizontally to connect the rows. For
additional reinforcement, insert u-pins over wood strips and
into foam. Let dry completely before handling wall sculpture.
- 9. Cut two 3" wire lengths; twist ends of each length together
around top back wood strips to form loops. Be sure loops are
level; spot glue to secure. Hang art as shown.