Recycled Sweater Mitten Ornament
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Cozy up your Christmas tree with warm-and-fuzzy ornaments created from old sweaters. Don't have sweaters on-hand to cut up? Scout local thrift stores - recover reuse recycle reduce!
Completion time – 1 hour each
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Fabric: homespun, 2-1/4" x 7"; recycled knitted sw
- assorted scraps
- Tan felt, 5" square
- Assorted buttons
- Double-sided ribbon, 3/8" x 1/4 yd.
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Sewing needle and thread, assorted colors
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut
pattern from foam block.
- 2. Trace mitten onto tan felt and recycled sweater fabric. Cut
out tan mitten on traced line and sweater mitten 1/2" to 3/4"
beyond traced line, depending on amount of stretch in sweater.
Cut on smaller side if sweater is very stretchy.
- 3. Place foam mitten face down on back of sweater mitten. Pull
sweater up and over edges of foam; hot glue in place and trim
excess. Glue felt mitten to back of ornament.
- 4. With wrong side out, fold homespun fabric strip in half to
measure 2-1/4" x 3-1/2". Hand-sew or glue short ends together,
using 1/4" seam. Turn cuff right side out and fold in half.
Slip cuff over top of mitten and glue to secure.
- 5. Cut out fabric patches, felt circles, and other shapes to
decorate mitten front. Refer to photo as guide. Sew thread
through buttonholes; glue buttons to mitten.
- 6. Glue ribbon ends together to make loop; glue hanger to corner of cuff.