Sweet Felted Snowman
Two popular crafting trends needlefelting and paper crafting come together beautifully in this vintage-appeal snowman. Versatile STYROFOAM™ Brand foam is the ideal base for both mediums.
Completion time – 2-3 hours
Designer – Rebekah Meier
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 3-1/2"; 1"
- Block, 18" x 4" x 4"
- Cone, 3" x 2"
- Wool fiber: natural; orange
- Pink decorative paper, 12" x 12"
- Cream card stock
- Vintage snowman image
- Cream lace trim, 1" x 18"
- Cream organza ribbon, 1-1/2" x 1 yd.
- Small mother-of-pearl buttons, two
- Silver chenille stem
- Ultra-fine pink/iridescent glitter
- White/iridescent glitter glue
- Cosmetic blush
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Round paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Round wooden toothpicks, five
- Scissors: standard; decorative-edge
- Needlefelting tool
- Sewing needle and cream button thread
- Black-head corsage pins, seven
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Foam mounting tape, squares, or dots
Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution. Follow
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut 4" cube from
foam block. Set aside remainder of foam block for future project.
- 2. Cut two 4-1/2" x 8-1/4" strips and one 3-3/4" square from
pink paper. Overlap and glue two short ends of 4-1/2"-wide
strips 1/4" to create one 4-1/2" x 16-1/4" strip. Score and
fold paper strip 1/2" from top long edge to make sharp crease.
- 3. Beginning and ending in center of one side of cube to
prevent visible seams, wrap paper strip around four sides,
allowing paper to extend 1/2" above top edge of cube; do not
glue yet. Use fingers to crimp paper at cube corners; remove
paper and crisply fold at crimp marks.
- 4. Glue paper strip around cube sides, overlapping ends. Clip
paper corners above foam and fold excess down to top of cube;
glue to secure. Glue paper square to top of cube. Position
cube with paper seam at center back. Wrap and glue lace trim
around center of cube as shown.
- 5. Cut out desired snowman image and mat on slightly larger
piece of cream card stock. Trim edges with decorative-edge
scissors. Adhere buttons to image as shown and outline image
with glitter glue; let dry. Mount image to front of cube with foam tape.
- 6. Place small amount of natural wool fiber against large foam
ball and attach to surface using felting needle; follow
manufacturer instructions to ensure safety. Continue felting
fiber to foam until completely covered.
- 7. Glue two toothpicks halfway into bottom of ball. Apply glue
to free ends and insert into top of paper-covered cube; let dry.
- 8. Sew gathering stitch along one long edge of ribbon and pull
up gathers tightly to create ruffle. Wrap ribbon around neck
and tie off threads.
- 9. Refer to photo to blush cheeks and insert pins for eyes and
mouth. For nose, wrap and glue small amount of orange wool
fiber around tip of third toothpick to form carrot shape. Glue
and insert free end of toothpick into face.
- 10. Use paintbrush to apply white glue to foam cone and 1"
ball; sprinkle with pink glitter while wet and shake off
excess. Let dry completely. Glue fourth toothpick into tip of
cone, leaving 3/4" exposed. Glue ball onto toothpick; let dry.
- 11. Glue remaining toothpick halfway into center bottom of
hat; glue free end into head on angle as shown. Glue chenille
stem around bottom edge of hat; trim excess.