Kraft Paper Flower Wreath
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Floral décor goes rustic - and recycled - in this easy-to-craft kraft paper creation. Humble brown grocery bags are reinvented as an eye-catching wreath perfect for any season.
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Wreath, 9" x 1-1/4" x 3/4"
- Brown paper grocery bags, three large
- Light brown wax-style shoe polish
- Glossy dcoupage medium
- Wooden skewer
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Water basin
- Clean, soft rag
- Paper crimper
- Circle punch, 1/2"
- Craft knife with sharp blade
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Slit each paper bag along one side seam and cut out bottom
to create large, flat kraft paper sheets.
- 2.Cut ten 2" x 20" strips from brown bags and fold each in
half lengthwise. Use glue gun to secure one end of first strip
to back of foam wreath. Wrap paper diagonally around wreath,
keeping it smooth, slightly overlapping each layer; glue end
of strip to back of wreath. Continue wrapping wreath until covered.
- 3. Cut the following from brown bags: one 1" x 4" strip
(wreath hanger); two 1/2" x 8" strips (wreath bow); two 3" x
15" strips (leaves); four 5/8" x 1" strips (large flower
centers). In addition, cut six small flowers from bags; cut
and fold as indicated on pattern. Gently pull wooden skewer
along back of each petal to add curve.
- 4.Fold hanger strip in thirds lengthwise and glue ends to
form loop; glue to top center back of wreath and let dry. Glue
bow strips together in a long "X" shape to bottom center front
of wreath; bend and glue top ends to center to create bow loops.
- 5. Glue leaf strips together and run through paper crimper to
add texture; cut ten leaves from strip. For large flower
centers, cut fringe along one 1" edge of each 5/8" x 1" strip.
Roll strip into tight tube around skewer with fringe at top;
glue edge to secure.
- 6.Apply light coat of brown shoe polish to two 8" square
areas on front of brown bags; let dry. Buff polished areas
with soft rag to impart sheen. Cut four large flowers from
polished bag; fold as indicated on pattern. Use craft knife to
cut tiny "x" at center of each flower; push and glue flower
centers created in Step 5 through holes from front to back.
Fluff fringe as desired.
- 7.Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply one coat
decoupage medium over remaining polished area of brown bag;
let dry completely. Punch six 1/2" circles from glossy bag;
glue to centers of small flowers.
- 8.In addition, cut seven 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" strips from glossy
bag. Cut very narrow fringe along one 1-1/4" edge of each
strip. With glossy side facing in, roll strips into tight
tubes around skewer with fringe at top; glue edge to secure.
Curl fringe around skewer for visual interest.
- 9.Refer to photo to glue four large and five small flowers
to wreath, tucking two small flowers under bow loops at
bottom. Glue two leaves under edges of each small flower as
shown. Glue remaining small flower to center of bow. Tuck and
glue fringe strips into wreath.