Cup o' Cocoa Ornament
Download the Pattern (PDF)
This cozy cocoa concoction definitely looks yummy but wait! The main ingredients in this creative cup are foam fabric and a few dollops of glue.
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Cotton fabrics: 45" print, 1/4 yd.; brown,
- 2-1/2" square scrap
- Self-adhesive craft foam, color of choice
- Thin cardboard, 1/2" x 3-1/2"
- Wooden spring-type clothespin
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Compass or circle templates: 2-1/4"; 3"
- Metal tablespoon
- Wide flat paintbrush
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
(Note: Adults only should handle the serrated knife.)
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut foam
ball in half. Cut thin slice from rounded top of one half-ball
to create flat cup bottom; save other half-ball for another use.
- 2. Use back of tablespoon to press very shallow depression
into center top of cup, leaving 1/4"-wide edge around rim.
- 3. Cut pattern pieces from print fabric as indicated. Spread
thin layer of white glue onto back of one fabric piece. Place
fabric point at center bottom of cup, then smooth fabric up
side and over rim; clip fabric as needed so it lays flat.
Repeat with remaining fabric pieces to cover foam, overlapping edges slightly.
- 4. Use compass or template to draw 2-1/4" circle onto wrong
side of brown fabric for cocoa; cut out. Glue cocoa to top of cup.
- 5. Use compass to draw 3" circle onto craft foam for saucer;
cut out. Peel away backing paper and adhere to wrong side of
print fabric; trim excess.
- 6. Cut 1-1/4" x 3-1/2" strip from print fabric. Glue and wrap
fabric around cardboard strip. Before glue dries completely,
fold one short end over 1/4" and bend rest of strip into
curved handle shape. Let dry.
- 7. Use glue gun to glue cup to saucer and handle to cup,
placing 1/4" tab near rim.
- 8. For marshmallows, cut remaining foam half-ball into small
pieces, approximately 1/2" square. Use fingers to gently mold
foam into rounded rectangles. Glue small pile of marshmallows
to center top of cup.
- 9. Glue clothespin to bottom of saucer; clip to tree.