Peppermint Ski Snowman
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Hit the slopes with striped skis peppermint poles and a cheery little partner. All dressed up in red and white this dapper dasher will join your favorites!
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Debra Quartermain
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"
- Egg, 6"
- Fleece: white, 1/6 yd.; red, 1/4 yd.
- Red/white checked fabric, 2-1/2" x 45"
- Fiberfill stuffing, or four cotton balls
- Red embroidery floss
- White pom pom, 2"
- White buttons, 1/2", two
- Black beads, 8mm, two
- Cosmetic blush
- Wrapped candy canes, 8" long, four
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Circle templates: 5"; 3"
- Embroidery needle
- Iron and ironing board
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin
slices from opposite ends of foam egg and one side of larger
foam ball. Cut smaller foam ball in half.
- 2. Clean stray bits of foam from work surface before cutting
fabrics. Cut the following pieces from white fleece: 6" x 12"
body; 5" circle for head; two 3" circles for hands.
- 3. Fold red fleece in half width wise; fold in half again
lengthwise. Place sweater pattern on folded fleece, aligning
"center" with double-folded edge; cut out. In addition, cut
nose pattern and 8" x 11" rectangle from red fleece. Fold
rectangle in half and refer to diagram to cut out hat.
- 4. Center rounded side of larger foam ball on wrong side of
5" white fleece circle. Gather fleece evenly up over flat side
of head, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trim
- 5. Choose smoothest side of ball for face. Refer to photo to
create face. Use scissors point to make two holes for eyes in
foam, 3/8" apart. Glue beads in place, pushing firmly into
holes. Glue nose to face. Use fingertip to apply blush to cheeks.
- 6. Use three strands red floss to stitch 2" smile. Bring
embroidery needle from back of head, through foam ball, to
face. Stitch mouth through fleece only. To finish, take floss
back through foam ball to back of head; knot and clip thread.
- 7. Evenly wrap 6" x 12" white fleece rectangle cut in Step 2
around foam egg body, overlapping fleece edges at back; glue
fleece edges to secure. Gather fleece evenly under flat base
of egg, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trim
- 8. For hands, place each foam half-ball rounded side down in
center of 3" white fleece circle. Apply line of glue around
edges of fleece. Glue fleece to flat sides of hands.
- 9. Place sweater on work surface, right sides together and
underarms aligned. Glue underarm seams; let dry. Clip corners
and turn sweater right side out. Repeat for hat.
- 10. Place check fabric right side down on ironing board. Fold
each long edge in 3/4" and press, creating 1" x 45" strip.
- 11. Apply glue to neck end of body. Place sweater over top of
body and then glue flat side of head to neck. Stuff sleeves
lightly with fiberfill or cotton balls. Glue hands into
bottoms of sleeves with flat sides toward body; do not glue
hands to body. Glue hat on head and pom pom to tip. Let dry.
- 12. Wrap check trim around edge of hat, neck, sweater bottom
and sleeves, cutting trim lengths as needed. Glue trim in
place, overlapping at back.
- 13. Sew red floss "X" through buttons; glue buttons to sweater.
- 14. Cut curved ends from two candy canes; glue poles to hands
as shown. Glue hands to body. Glue remaining candy canes to
bottom of body for skis.