Play host to a romantic holiday season with blooming ornaments in any shade you can imagine. Get the boutique look with budget-friendly air-dry modeling compound.
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Lorine Mason
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Air-dry modeling compound: white, red, green, blac
- Gold ribbon, 1/4" x 1/3 yd.
- Plastic-coated paper clip
- Rolling pin
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Optional: Small leaf clay cutter
- 1. Note: Modeling compound can crack due to shrinkage while
drying. Exposing compound to air for five minutes before
rolling can help minimize cracking. Wrap leftover compound in
plastic to preserve for future use.
- 2. Use rolling pin to roll a 3" ball of white modeling
compound to 1/8" thickness. Turn compound over many times to prevent sticking.
- 3. Drape clay over foam ball, gently pressing out air bubbles.
Use scissors to trim excess. Gently roll ball on hard surface to smooth.
- 4. Roll 1" ball of white modeling compound into teardrop
shape. Press large end of teardrop onto bottom of ball. Let dry.
- 5. To create burgundy roses, mix small amount of black with
red until pleased with color. Pinch 1/4" ball of compound into
rounded teardrop shape between thumb and index finger for each
petal; rosebuds use two petals and roses use five or more.
Press edges of each petal until quite thin and flexible.
- 6. Tightly roll a single petal for rose center. Add three more
petals, slightly overlapping one another, around center.
Slightly flare petal edges outward. When adding a new row of
petals, move down rolled center to achieve more balanced look.
Continue adding petals until rose is desired size. Pinch
excess clay from bottom. Let dry completely.
- 7. Roll green modeling compound to 1/8" thickness. Using
knife, or clay cutter, cut several leaves; let dry completely.
- 8. Unfold paper clip once and cut in half. Dip cut ends into
glue and press into top of ornament for hanger. Thread ribbon
length through hanger; knot ends.
- 9. Use glue gun to attach roses and leaves to top of ornament as shown.