Glass Mosaic Spheres
Colorful mini mosaics shine as easy décor accents! Repurpose broken dinnerware use found items like sea glass or pick up glass gems at your local craft store.
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Mosaic pieces (repurposed/broken china or
- glass plates and/or ceramic tiles)
- Ceramic tile adhesive
- Lightweight spackling
- Rubber spatula
- Disposable container
- Container of water
- Natural sea sponge
- Clean, soft rag
- Tile knippers
- Work gloves
- Old bath towel
- 1. Wrap plates and tiles, one at a time, in old towel. Place
towel on hard surface, like concrete sidewalk, and rap
contents smartly with hammer. Do not hammer repeatedly or you
risk disintegrating mosaic pieces. Check inside of towel
periodically and remove pieces of desired size; wear work
gloves at all times when handling broken items. Be sure to
remove all shards from towel or discard towel entirely to
prevent accidental cuts.
- 2. Use tile adhesive to secure mosaic pieces to foam balls in
pleasing designs. Use tile knippers to cut some pieces to size as needed.
- 3. Follow manufacturer's directions to mix spackling "grout"
in disposable container until smooth and spreadable.
- 4. Use spatula to apply grout to surface of ball; be sure to
push grout into spaces between mosaic pieces. Smooth grout as
much as possible as you work. Let set a few minutes, then
gently smooth using damp sponge. Rinse sponge often in fresh water.
- 5. Let grout set up slightly, then wipe face of mosaic pieces
again with damp sponge. Let dry completely. Use clean, soft
rag to polish mosaic pieces.