Sleek & Chic Floor Sculpture
Download the Pattern (PDF)
A fabulous piece like this would cost hundreds to buy but you can craft your own sculptural art for less than $50. No one will believe you made it from STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam!
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheets, two 36" x 12" x 2"
- Black acrylic paint
- Iron Graphite Texture Fierro Medium by DecoArt
- Metallic silver cardstock, 12" x 12", six sheets
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- T-square or ruler
- Putty knife, 1"
- Tablespoon measure
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Liquid paper glue or stick-flat paste
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Rubber brayer
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Refer to
diagrams to cut foam sheets into appropriate pieces; you will
use only one-third (12" square) of second sheet. Smooth cut
edges with fingertips.
- 2. Stir several tablespoons of black paint into texture medium so it
appears black; mix well. Add more paint until pleased with color.
- 3. Use putty knife to spread even coat of tinted texture
medium onto 2" edges of all foam pieces; extend 1/4" onto flat surfaces
(top and bottom) as well. Lay pieces flat and let dry completely.
- 4. Cut following pieces from cardst ock to correspond to foam shapes:
eleven 3" x 12" strips; eight 3" x 6" strips; one 6" x 12" piece.
- 5. Use putty knife to spread thin, even coat of paste onto top
of first 3" x 12" foam strip, or apply liquid glue. Center one
3" x 12" card stock strip on pasted foam; smooth with fingers.
If desired, roll cards tock with rubber brayer to ensure good contact.
- 6. Repeat Step 5 to cover tops of all foam pieces with
appropriate card stock pieces. Glue remaining card stock to
bottoms of two 3" x 6" foam pieces. Let pieces dry completely.
- 7. Refer to diagram to assemble sculpture. Use glue gun to
glue first 3" x 12" foam piece to base; back edge of foam
piece should rest 1" in front of back edge of base.
- 8. Glue next 3" x 12" foam piece to top of first, overhanging
front edge by about 1/4" and extending toward left. Continue
adding foam pieces as shown, offsetting 3" x 12" pieces 1/4"
forward or backward with each new addition. Note: These pieces
are darker in diagram.
- 9. Lighter pieces on diagram are 3" x 6" foam pieces. Save 3"
x 6" pieces covered by cardstock on both front and back for
upright pieces at bottom right and top left. Let dry completely.