Silver-and-Blue Package Candleholders
Beading and paper crafting combine in a trio of on-trend style-to-spare candleholders. Creatively embellish paper-wrapped cubes of STYROFOAM™ brand foam with bead trim and tooling metal 'ribbons.'
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Cube, 3"
- Sculpturing Block, 18" x 4" x 4"
- Acrylic paint to match paper(s)
- Scrapbooking papers of choice, one 12" x 12" sheet
- two sheets for 4" cube
- Medium-weight aluminum tooling metal
- Candle cups, three
- Beaded floral trim
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Metal-edge ruler
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Extra-long straight pins
- Craft/utility knife with new blade and cutting mat
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut two 4"
cubes from foam sculpturing block.
- 2. Cut paper strips to cover sides of foam cubes as follows:
one 4" x 12" strip for 3" cube; two 5" x 12" strips for each
4" cube. Fold over 1/2" along top and bottom edges of each
strip; open paper flat.
- 3. Starting and ending at center back, wrap paper strips
around sides of cube. Align folds with top and bottom edges of
cube; crease paper at corners. For 4" cube, piece paper strips
as needed to cover foam; trim excess. Remove paper strips and
fold crisply along creased lines.
- 4. Glue and pin paper strips back onto cube, with 1/2"
extending above and below edges. Clip corners so excess paper
will lay flat against foam; glue paper to foam.
- 5. Cut paper squares to cover tops of foam cubes as follows:
2-3/4" for 3" cube; 3-3/4" for each 4" cube. Glue squares to cubes.
- 6. Paint candle cups and let dry.
- 7. Gently flatten tooling metal on cutting mat. Use craft
knife and metal-edge ruler to cut following "ribbon" lengths
from metal: ten 1/2" x 5" strips for 3" cube; ten 5/8" x 6"
strips for each 4" cube.
- 8. For each cube, fold over 1/4" at one end of four metal
ribbon lengths. Use glue gun to glue folded ends to center
bottom of appropriate cube and then gently fold up over side
onto top, just like a package. Note: Ribbons will not meet
exactly at center top, but this allows easier candle cup
insertion. Glue ribbon ends to top of package.
- 9. Gently bend four metal strips into loops and glue
diagonally to center top of package. Cut a "v" into one end of
each remaining length for tails and glue to top of package,
allowing cut ends to flow downward; spot glue to secure.
- 10. Use craft knife to cut an "X" into center top of cube.
Glue and push candle cup down into top of cube. Glue bead trim
to package top as desired.