Sleep Tight, Bitsy Bunny
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Teeny-tiny bunny tuckered out after a long day scouting the garden for goodies dreams of a prize carrot.
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Debra Quartermain
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 9" x 4" cone
- Balls: 1-1/2", one; 1", two
- Eggs: 2-1/2" x 1-7/8" and 1-15/16" x 1-1/2", one e
- Pom poms: 3/4" white, two; 1/4" pink, one
- Green chenille stem, one
- Felt: mango tango or orange, 15" x 15"; apple gree
- 9" x 12" sheets; white plush, 8" x 21"
- 1" ombre sheer ribbon, 1/2 yd.
- Black embroidery floss
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Straight pins
- Embroidery needle
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. Wax serrated knife blade with old candle. Cut one 1" ball in half for front paws.
Cut smaller egg in half lengthwise for back feet. Cut a thin lengthwise slice from
larger egg to flatten one side of body. Press 1-1/2" ball (head) and remaining 1"
ball (tail) on a flat surface to slightly flatten one side.
- 2. Using patterns, cut out felt pieces as indicated. From white plush felt, use
a compass to cut following circles: one 4" for head, one 3" for tail, and two 2" for front paws.
- 3. Center foam pieces for front paws, back feet, head, body, and tail flat side
up on wrong side of corresponding plush felt piece. Wrap felt around foam onto
flat side and pin at top, bottom, and center of each side. Adjust excess felt
between pins, smoothing folds; glue felt in place. Remove pins. Trim excess
felt as necessary.
- 4. Cover foam cone with felt, overlapping long edges; glue. Fold over excess
felt at wide end of cone and glue to foam. Glue opposite end in a point.
- 5. Cut chenille stem in three equal lengths. Pair and glue felt leaves,
sandwiching a chenille stem in between where indicated on pattern. Gather together
and glue ends to center top of carrot. Bend and shape leaves as desired.
- 6. Glue white pom poms side by side to front of bunny's head for
cheeks; glue pink pom pom at center top for nose.
- 7. Use two strands of black embroidery floss to work horizontal straight stitches
for bunny's eyes. Insert needle through back of head to front and take a tiny
stitch above one cheek. Return needle to back of head. Repeat to stitch second
eye above opposite cheek. Knot ends of floss together and trim.
- 8. With your fingers, gather base of each ear and glue to top of head. Position
ears approximately 3/4" apart with ends extending outward.
- 9. Using photo as a guide, glue bunny to carrot in the following order: body,
head, front paws, back feet, and tail.
- 10. Tie ribbon in a small bow and glue to bunny's neck.