Clay Candle Cube & Roses
STYROFOAMâ„¢ Brand foam makes an affordable versatile base for home decor projects. Transform a plain foam cube into a gorgeous floral candlescape using air-dry clay and rubber stamps.
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Diane Flowers
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Block, 4" x 4" x 2"
- Cube, 5"
- Paint: red acrylic; flat black spray
- Black construction paper
- White air-dry clay, 16 oz. package
- Multi-design rubber stamp cube
- Red freeze-dried or silk roses, five
- Dark green reindeer moss, one bag
- Floral tape
- Floral clay
- Red pencil candles, 10", four
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Floral shears
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (optional)
- 1. Cover one side of foam cube with even layer of air-dry clay. Randomly press all sides of stamp cube into clay; let dry.
- 2. Line well-ventilated work area with newspapers or place foam cube inside large cardboard box to contain over spray. Follow manufacturer's instructions to spray paint clay flat black; let dry.
- 3. Paint raised areas of clay red, allowing black to show in stamped areas. Let dry.
- 4. Cut four 5" squares from black construction paper. Glue paper to bottom and remaining three sides of cube, leaving top uncovered.
- 5. Use paintbrush to apply red paint to all sides of rubber stamp cube. Randomly stamp images onto construction paper-covered cube. Apply additional red paint along corners of cube. Let dry completely. Wash stamp immediately with soap and water; do not soak wood-mount stamps.
- 6. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foam block in half to measure 4" x 4" x 1"; use glue gun to attach one half-block to top of foam cube.
- 7. Use glue gun to cover top of cube with moss. Use floral shears to trim rose stems; glue and insert stems into foam, forming tight circle. Leave space in center of roses for candles.
- 8. Hold candles together and wrap bottoms with floral tape.Apply small pieces of floral clay to bottom of candles and insert into center of rose arrangement. When replacing candles, add additional floral clay to bottoms as needed.