Needlefelt & Ribbon Holiday Trees
Fast fun needlefelting is easy once you get a feel for the technique. Cozy wool roving is the perfect material for winter projects; STYROFOAM™ Brand foam is the perfect base.
Completion time – 2-3 hours
Designer – Rebekah Meier
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Acrylic paint: white; pink
- Wool roving
- Felting needles
- Wooden spools, two
- Assorted trims: ribbons; rick-rack
- Assorted glitter glues
- Iridescent ultrafine glitter
- Small wooden stars, two
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; handle with care.
The higher the needle number, the finer the needle and the resulting hole
in the project. No glue is necessary to secure fibers to foam.
- 1. Paint wooden spools white or pink; while wet, sprinkle with
glitter. Let dry completely. Use glue gun to glue spools to
bases of cones for tree trunks.
- 2. Place small amount of roving onto foam cone and, following
manufacturer's instructions, felt wool to foam. Repeat until
entire cone is covered.
- 3. Apply thin layer of white glue to wooden stars and sprinkle
with glitter; shake off excess and let dry. Repeat if desired.
- 4. Wrap ribbons around trees as shown and secure with pins.
Wrap ribbon around spool and secure with glue gun. Highlight
ribbons and trims as desired using glitter glues.
- 5. 5.Glue stars to treetops using glue gun; let dry.