Scandinavian Felt Cutwork Ornaments
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Warm-and-cozy Scandinavian style looks just right in festive holiday red and white. Cut custom shapes from a 1/2'-thick sheet of STYROFOAM™ Brand foam. Easy!
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets: two red; one white
- Red double-sided satin ribbon, 1/8" x 2/3 yd.
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Scissors: straight blade; pinking shears
- Craft pins
- Air-soluble marker
- Transfer paper
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Use marker to trace pattern outlines onto foam block. Wax
serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut out ornament shapes.
- 2. Trace foam shapes twice onto red felt using air-soluble
marker; cut out felt stars and mittens. Glue felt to front and
back of each foam shape.
- 3. In addition, cut several long, 1/2"-thick strips of red
felt and glue around ornament edges, overlapping ends; trim
excess. Secure felt with pins until glue dries; remove pins.
- 4. Use transfer paper to transfer design details to white
felt. Cut out shapes and glue to ornaments, referring to photo as guide.
- 5. Cut several long, 1/4"-thick strips of white felt and trim
one long edge of each strip with pinking shears. Glue trim around ornament
edges as shown, piecing strips together as needed; trim excess.
- 6. For each hanger, cut a 12" ribbon length. Knot ribbon ends
and glue to edge of ornament; secure with craft pin.