Woodland Birch Bark & Twigs Wall Art
Mother Nature does know best! Earthy organic textures combine to create gorgeous one-of-a kind wall art that's the focal point of any room.
Completion time – 3 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet:one 12" x 36" x 1" sheet; or three 12" x 12"
- Birch bark sheets**
- Twigs, quantity varies according to thickness;
- straight twigs preferred
- Acrylic craft paint: black, brown
- (**Available at www.barkcanoe.com)
- Paint brush
- Knippers or heavy-duty scissors
- Pruning clippers
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Sawtooth picture hangers, three; or Velcro hangers
- Optional: If using 12" x 36" x 1" foam sheet, addi
- include ruler, pencil, serrated knife, old candle,
- 1. If using 12" x 12" x 1" squares, skip to Step #2. Using
ruler and pencil, score foam sheet to create three, 12" x 12"
squares. Wax serrated knife with an old candle. Holding foam
sheet firmly on a flat surface, extend one end and cut across
the score line, using knife like a saw. Or, try dental
floss:Stand the sheet on its edge and hold a 20" length of
dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at
the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the
dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
- 2. Paint edges of foam sheets black, and paint " on top edge
of foam sheets, too.
- 3. Using knippers or heavy-duty scissors, cut pieces of birch
bark to measure 12" x 12".
- 4. Attach the birch bark to the fronts of two squares of
STYROFOAM™brand foam, using a generous amount of low
temperature glue. Use weights (such as a heavy book) to hold
the bark tight to the surface while the glue hardens.
- 5. Paint the front of remaining foam square brown; let dry.
- 6. With pruning clippers, cut twigs to 12" long. Using
low-melt glue, glue twigs to foam square until the entire
surface is covered. Let dry. Carefully trim uneven edges.
- 7. Use Velcro tabs to hang on the wall. Or, glue sawtooth
picture hanger to back. For additional hold, insert and glue
two straight pins through holes in sawtooth picture hanger.