Bold Red & White Fabric Ornaments
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Transform just a quarter-yard of fabric into a fantastic holiday gift or decoration for your home. Balls of STYROFOAMâ„¢ Brand foam make the perfect creative canvas!
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, 4", three
- Cone, 15" x 4"
- Red/white graphic print cotton fabrics, Â¼ yd.
- Silver metallic ribbon, 1/8" x 1 yd.
- Quilt batting
- Moss green velvet or faux suede fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Seven assorted ribbons, 1/8" to 3/4" wide, 2/3 yd.
- Cream ribbon rosebuds with leaves, one small packa
- Vintage-look buttons and charms, including ribbon
- Gold seed beads
- Wooden skewers, three
- Putty knife, 1" wide
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Adhesives: all-purpose paste; thick, white craft g
- Gloss-finish dcoupage medium
- Large-eye sewing needle
- Craft pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Cut pattern from each fabric as indicated.
- 2. Insert wooden skewers into foam balls. Holding skewer, use putty knife to spread thin, even layer of paste over surface of balls.
- 3. Spread a thin, even layer of paste onto back of one fabric segment. Place fabric on first ball, aligning top point with wooden skewer. Carefully snip fabric along edges so piece will lay flat when smoothed with fingertips. Follow design in fabric to disguise clipping.
- 4. Repeat Step 3 for each fabric segment, overlapping segments slightly when gluing them to foam ball. Place skewer in heavy glass or jar and let dry completely. Repeat to cover each foam ball with fabric; fabrics may be mixed for a different look.
- 5. Following manufacturer's directions, apply several thin coats of decoupage medium to fabric-covered balls, letting dry between coats. Let balls dry completely.
- 6. Remove skewers. Cut ribbon into three 12" lengths. Knotends of each length together, 2" from cut ends. Use white glue to glue knots into holes left by skewers; push knots in firmly with skewer. Tie ribbon ends in a bow.