Daddy Long Leg Spider
EEK! Haunt your own home this Halloween with a super-sized arachnid made from shapes of STYROFOAM™ Brand foam. Kids will love these.
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: one 2-1/2"; four 1-1/2"
- Sheet, 1" thick, scrap
- Black acrylic paint
- Orange felt scrap
- Wiggle eyes, 3/8", two
- Black wire, 16-gauge
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden skewers
- Stiff-bristled paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Wire cutters
- Needlenose pliers
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 1-1/2"
foam balls in half.
- 2. Insert skewers into all foam shapes. Holding skewers, paint
shapes black. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar while shapes
dry. Remove skewers.
- 3. Use wire cutters to cut eight 16" wire lengths. If unable
to find black wire, paint metallic wire black. Push wire ends
into scrap foam sheet until dry.
- 4. Use pliers to bend a "knee" into each wire length, about 4"
from one end. Insert short wire ends into large foam ball
body, four on each side. Remove wires and use glue gun to
secure wire ends in holes.
- 5. Glue and insert bottom wire ends into foam half-ball feet
so spider stands level.
- 6. Use white glue to glue eyes onto spider. Hand cut crescent-shaped
eyebrows and mouth from orange felt; glue to face as shown.