Peppermint Bear Ornament
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Festive red-and-white peppermints are so much more fun made up into little Christmas bears for the tree. Ornaments make a sweet gift for teachers and other special helpers.
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: one 2"; six 1-1/2"
- Disc, 4" x 1"
- Red acrylic paint
- Red/white striped grosgrain ribbon, 1/2" x 1/2 yd.
- Red/white wire twist ties, two
- Black half-round beads, 5mm, two
- Clear cellophane
- Pink chalk or cosmetic blush
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden items: round toothpicks; skewers
- Paintbrushes: small, stiff round; liner
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin
slices from bottom and front of 2" foam ball for head. Cut thin slice
from one side of four 1-1/2" foam balls for arms and legs.
- 2. Cut remaining 1-1/2" foam balls in half. Twist one
half-ball against flat front of head until snug; use glue gun
to glue muzzle to head. Cut and discard one-third from bottom
of two half-balls to create ears; glue ears to head with
rounded side toward back. Discard remaining half-ball or set
aside for future project.
- 3. Transfer pattern to both sides of foam disc. Use stiff
brush to paint center motif on front of disc red; let dry.
Paint back of disc; let dry.
- 4. Push skewers into arms and legs. Holding skewer, paint each
ball red; place skewers in heavy glass or jar until dry. Paint
a red half-circle onto front of each ear. Use liner brush to
paint nose and mouth. Let dry completely.
- 5. Wrap peppermint in square of cellophane; secure ends with
- 6. Cut three toothpicks in half. Push one half-toothpick into
cut side of each arm and leg and one into bottom of head,
leaving 1/2" of toothpick exposed. Apply hot glue to end of
each toothpick and push into peppermint disc as shown.
- 7. Glue beads to head for eyes. Blush cheeks with chalk using
- 8. For hanger, cut 8" ribbon length and knot ends; glue knot
to top of head. Tie remaining ribbon into bow and glue to neck.