Shimmering Feathers Centerpiece Bowl
Shimmering finishes and exquisite textures make this feather-bedecked centerpiece a standout anytime of year. Master a few easy techniques to get this great look!
Completion time – 2 hours
Designer – Diane Flowers
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: five 3"; three 4"
- Hollow Half Ball, 12"
- Block, 18" x 12" x 2"
- Spray paints: pale turquoise; jade green; olive gr
- Dark brown antiquing spray
- Feathers, 20" long: peacock, seven; pheasant, 13
- Dried artichokes, eight
- Twig wreath, 6"
- Dark green reindeer moss
- White tissue paper, four large sheets
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden skewers or floral picks, 4" long, 12
- Disposable bowl and spoon
- Paper towels
- Floral shears
- Floral pins
- Chopsticks or other disposable skewers
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Waxed paper or non-stick craft sheet
- Large cardboard box
- 1. Cover work surface with waxed paper or non-stick craft
sheet. Mix one part white glue with two parts water in
disposable bowl; stir with spoon.
- 2. Tear tissue paper into small pieces. Dip tissue pieces, one
by one, into glue/water mixture and apply to surface of all
foam balls and outside and top edge of hollow half ball,
allowing tissue to wrinkle and overlap. Continue until each ball is
completely covered. Place balls and half ball on waxed paper to dry.
- 3. Insert chopstick or disposable skewer into each ball and
use as a handle.Cover work area, or use a large cardboard
box as a spray booth.Working in a well ventilated area,
spray paint all balls and half ball olive green.Insert
chopstick or skewer into foam block while paint dries. (You
will use the foam block again in Step 6.)
- 4. Very lightly and randomly spray small portions of balls and
half ball pale turquoise and jade green. Repeat with metallic
gold. While gold paint is still wet, very lightly remove some
paint with wadded paper towel. Let all shapes dry completely.
Hot glue skewers into 3" and 4" balls; set aside.
- 5. In same way as foam shapes, spray paint dried artichokes
with antiquing spray; let dry.
- 6. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure
and cut two 6" x 10" pieces from foam block. Stack and hot
glue foam pieces together inside hollow half ball. Insert four
remaining skewers through foam pieces to secure. Glue small
bits of reindeer moss to top of foam in bowl.
- 7. Pin twig wreath to bottom of bowl to create flat base; be
sure bowl sits level. Use glue gun to secure pins; cover pins
with small bits of moss.
- 8. Refer to photo to insert feathers into center of bowl;
secure ends in foam using glue gun. Use floral shears to trim
artichoke stems to 4" length. Glue and insert artichokes and
foam balls into arrangement, around feathers, as shown.