Golden Hues Autumn Wreath
Download the Pattern (PDF)
This green craft re-uses brown paper bags to create a surprisingly easy yet stunningly beautiful paper leaf-bedecked wreath. Paint cut glue done! Try red 'leaves' for a holiday poinsettia wreath too.
Completion time – 3-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Wreath, Beveled, 12" x 2" x 1"
- Acrylic paints: moss green; barn red;
- metallics in gold, antique gold, copper, gold gli
- Lightweight brown paper bags
- Gold ribbon: wire-edged metallic, 5/8" x 1/3 yd.;
- Disposable palette or foam plate
- Small natural sponge
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Prepare paper bags for painting by cutting away bottoms and
any printed areas.
- 2. Apply small amount of each acrylic paint to palette or foam
plate. Using a damp sponge, sponge acrylic paints over surface
of paper bags in a thin layer; paper should still be flexible
when dry. Goal is to create a variety of seven or eight
- 3. To add variety, combine gold and antique gold on sponge
before applying to paper bag. For an aged look, lightly sponge
moss green here and there over gold. For a richer hue, sponge
barn red and one of the metallic hues, like copper, onto paper
bag. Let bags dry completely. If desired, apply gold glitter
paint to bags; let dry.
- 4. Cut painted "papers" into long, 2-1/2"-wide strips. Fold
each strip in half lengthwise. Fold leaf pattern over folded
edge of first paper strip and cut out leaf around pattern.
Open leaf flat, painted side up. Repeat to cut a total of 200
leaves from painted papers, approximately 25-28 of each color.
- 5. Use glue gun to attach leaves to foam wreath. Begin with
innermost row around wreath opening, overlapping leaves as
shown. Continue adding rows of leaves around wreath,
alternating colors and tucking ends behind previous row. Glue
additional leaves into empty spaces or into areas that appear
unbalanced in terms of color placement.
- 6. Cut and curl several short curling ribbon lengths. Tie
small gold ribbon bow with tails, catching curled lengths in
knot. Glue bow to center bottom of wreath as shown.
- 7. Cut short metallic ribbon length and knot ends together for
hanger. Use glue gun to glue knot to top center back of wreath.