Gingerbread Cookie Couple
Standing 18' tall little fingers don't stand a chance against this yummy-looking pair! Crafted from foam sheets this cookie couple will look great year after year.,
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheets, 18" x 12" x 1", two
- Pre-mixed latex spackling
- Brown acrylic paint
- White chenille stems, two
- White rick-rack, 1" x 2-1/2 yds.
- White lace trim: daisy-chain, 1-1/4" x 1/3 yd.;
- eyelet, 1" x 1/2 yd.; eyelet ruffle, 4-1/2" x 1/3
- Buttons, four each: black half-round, 1/2";
- red heart-shaped, 5/8"
- Metallic pink beads, 1/4", two
- Red/white ribbon, 1/3 yd. each: satin polka-dot,
- 1-1/2" wide; gingham wire-edged, 1-1/4" wide
- Iridescent glitter
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Fine-grade sandpaper
- Small putty knife
- Small plastic bowl and spoon
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Utility knife with new blade (optional)
- 1. Using black marker, trace pattern onto one side of each
- 2. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Note:
Utility knife may be used instead of serrated knife. Cut out
gingerbread shapes; smooth cut edges with fingertips.
- 3. Place small amount spackling into plastic bowl; stir
vigorously until very smooth. Use putty knife to evenly spread
spackling over front and sides of both gingerbread. Let dry.
- 4. Lightly sand spackling. Paint front and sides of
gingerbread brown; let dry.
- 5. Using photo as guide, glue rick-rack "icing" across each
wrist and ankle, overlapping sides by 1/2". Center and glue
rick-rack around side edges of each gingerbread.
- 6. Cut one 3" and two 7-1/2" lengths from 1" eyelet trim. Glue
trim to gingerbread girl for apron straps and bib as shown;
top of straps should go over shoulders. Glue eyelet ruffle
around waist for apron.
- 7. Cut daisy-chain trim apart into individual motifs. Glue
motifs to gingerbread for buttons as shown. Cut some motifs in
half for mouths and eyelashes; glue in place.
- 8. Glue black button eyes, red heart cheeks, and pink bead
noses to faces.
- 9. Tie each ribbon length into desired bow; glue to necks.
- 10. Spread thin layer of white glue onto exposed areas of
gingerbread; sprinkle with iridescent glitter for sugary look.
- 11. For hanger, twist ends of chenille stem together. Push and
glue twisted end into back of gingerbread.