Punched Flag Wallhanging
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Indoors or out 16' round American Flag shows your red white and blue spirit.
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Annabelle Keller
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 44 / 45" solid cotton fabric:
- 1- 1/2 yd. blue
- 1- 1 1/4yd. red, 1- 3/4 yd. white
- 3- yds. 7/8" red, white and blue ribbon
- Thick white craft glue
- 1- 3/4" white curtain ring
- 3/4" sequin pins
- 3- 6mm gold beads
- Scotch tape
- Straight pins
- Ball point pen
- Fine line permanent marker
- Round toothpicks
- Nail file with point
- Hand-sewing needle, thimble & beeswax
- Rotary cutting equipment (optional)
- 1. Enlarge pattern to 16" diameter circle.
- 2. Cut out pattern and pin to disk of STYROFOAM™.
- 3. Pressing hard, trace over design lines with ballpoint pen.
- 4. Trace over scored lines with fine point marker.
- 5. Place disk on one corner of red fabric; trace around disc
with pencil or ballpoint pen. Cut out circle, adding 1/2" seam
allowance. Set aside.
- 6. Cut remaining fabrics into 1 1/2" squares. Stack by color.
- 7. General punching directions:
a. Spread glue over small area of STYROFOAM™.
b. Place point of nail file in center of fabric square and
punch straight into STYROFOAM™, about 1/4" deep. Around edges
of disc, punch fabric on an angle toward center.
c. Punch in about 3 squares per inch in rows about 3/8" apart.
Fill gaps with extra squares.
- 8. To start, punch 13 white squares for stars (see photo).
Fill remaining area with blue squares.
- 9. Alternate punching red and white fabric for stripes (use
- 10. Pin center of red fabric circle to back. Clip 1/2" seam
allowance and glue to edge of disc.
- 11. Adding the hanger:
a. Glue ribbon around edge of disc, starting at 3:00 position.
Overlap ends slightly.
b. Cut 18" length of ribbon, tie bow, trim tails as desired.
c. Stitch bow to center of remaining ribbon. Stitch curtain
ring behind bow.
d. Place bow at top and glue ends of ribbon to edge of disc,
leaving a 3" tail on each side.
e. Put sequin pins through beads and dip ends in glue. Push
through ribbon where it is glued to edge of disk.