Download the Pattern (PDF)
Wheeeeee! Snowbuddies know nothing's more fun than downhill races. Crafted from foam shapes -- and socks! -- here's a project low on cost high on cute!
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Big snowman
- Balls: 6"; 5"
- Eggs, 3-1/16", two
- Little snowman
- Balls: 4"; 3"
- Eggs, 2-1/2", two
- Acrylic paints: black; dark pink
- White craft foam, 2mm, 12" x 18"
- Screw-top jar lids, about 2-1/4", two
- White cotton socks: peds, adult large, two pair;
- newborn, two pair; crew, adult medium, one
- Opaque, white cotton tights, child 4-6
- White stocking cap, child small
- White plush felt, 1" x 12"
- White sewing thread
- White pom-poms: 1/2"; 1"
- Fiberfil stuffing
- Wired-edge ribbon, color of choice, 2" x 1-1/2 yds
- Thin silver braided cord, 15" length
- Iridescent snowflake sequins, two each: 3/8"; 5/8"
- Artificial greenery, small amount
- Serrated kitchen knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Paintbrushes: small round; liner
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Sewing needle
- Quilting pins with white heads
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
Note: Both snowmen are made in same way.
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslice from top and bottom of larger foam ball, and thin slicefrom bottom of smaller foam ball. Twist and glue smaller ballto top of larger ball to make body.
- 2. Cut thin slice from tummy of large snowman and back ofsmall snowman so snowmen can sit close together on sled.
- 3. Cut legs from tights at crotch. With thumbs inside leg,gather one leg up in fingers (like putting on pantyhose).Place toe of tights over snowman's head, then gently pull legdown over body. Tightly pull fabric together at center bottomof body; trim fabric, leaving 1" excess.
- 4. Use pencil point to make hole in center bottom of body.Place generous amount white glue in hole, then use scissorspoint to work excess fabric into hole. Push fabric into holeuntil fabric at base of snowman is tight and smooth.
- 5. For feet, refer to Diagram 1. Use serrated knife to cutbottom from larger end of each egg. Position remaining portionof eggs at an angle in front of body, pointing away from body,as shown in Diagram 2.
- 6. To make legs, place each foot into toe of one ped (largesnowman) or infant sock (small snowman). Firmly stuffremainder of sock with fiberfil. Fold open end of sock toinside. With toes pointing outward away from hips, use gluegun to glue folded ends of legs to bottom of body, slightly infront of center side. Snowmen should appear to sit. Pin sockto body to secure.
- 7. To make small snowman's arms, firmly stuff remaining infantsocks with fiberfil. Fold open end of sock to inside. Witharms pointing upward, glue and pin folded ends of arms toshoulder area of body.
- 8. To make large snowman's arms, firmly stuff remaining pedswith fiberfil, up past heel. Heels become "elbows." Stretchped while stuffing to ensure enough length to wrap aroundsmall snowman. Fold open end of ped to inside. Glue and pinfolded ends of arms to shoulder area of body.
- 9. Place small snowman in front of large snowman. Glue and pinlarge snowman's arms around to front of small snowman's tummy.Spot glue snowmen together as needed.
- 10. To make small snowman's hat, refer to Diagram 3. Cut crewsock as shown. Turn inside out and sew closed along cuttingline, using 1/4" seam. Turn right side out and place on smallsnowman's head. Glue plush felt around head for hatband. Placechild's hat on large snowman; spot glue to secure.
- 11. Use white glue to glue 1/2" pom-pom nose to small snowman;glue 1" pom-pom to large snowman.
- 12. Using photo as guide and liner brush, paint black eyes andeyebrows, and dark pink smile. Use dry, round brush and verysmall amount dark pink to blush cheeks. Use white glue to gluesequins to cheeks, 3/8" for small snowman and 5/8" for large snowman.
- 13. Cut ribbon into three equal lengths. Tie one length aroundeach neck for scarf. Tie bow from remaining length for sled; set aside.
- 14. To make sled, use glue gun to glue one end of 18" sides ofcraft foam sheet around jar lids. Poke two holes into foam atfront of sled. Thread cord ends into holes from front to back;knot ends to secure. Glue greenery and ribbon bow to front ofsled. Place snowmen on sled.