Sea Glass & Sand Orbs
Decorative orbs capture the essence of the seashore. Embed sea glass nuggets and assorted shells in a sandy grout for a mosaic of sun and surf memories.
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Jumbo craft stick
- Small natural sponge
- Soft cloth
- Water basin
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. Sort sea glass by color. Use complementary colors of glass
or a single color for a monochromatic look.
- 2. Glue sea glass to foam balls with small shells randomly
interspersed, allowing very little space between pieces.
(Note: Glass pieces will appear farther apart after spackling is applied.)
- 3. Tint spackling compound with a small amount of tan paint,
mixing until thoroughly blended. If desired, stir in small
amounts of sand until the desired texture is achieved.
- 4. Apply spackling to each orb, using your fingers to press
compound into small crevices. Gently wipe off excess spackling
on sea glass and shells with a clean damp sponge, leaving a
smooth, even coat between pieces. Rinse your sponge often.
- 5. Allow spackling to completely cure.
- 6. Wipe sea glass and shells with a damp sponge to remove haze
left by spackling residue. Let dry thoroughly and then buff
each orb with a soft cloth.
- 7. Tie raffia gift-wrap style around each orb and knot at
center top. Trim raffia, gluing small seashells to random ends.