A Warm Winter Welcome
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Give these clever little snowmen a big hand -- they're made from mittens! Foam balls and other easy-to-find supplies make for an ultra-cute winter project.
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Paula Bales
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Basswood sheet, 1/4" x 6" x 24"
- Acrylic paints: green, red, white
- Opaque white permanent marker, 5mm
- Plaid flannel fabric, 6" x 12"
- Child size mittens, two each: blue, black
- Fiberfil stuffing
- Flat buttons, 1/2", four each: red, black
- Black beads, 3/16", eight
- Artificial holly berries, 1/4", four
- Plastic snowflake sequins, 22
- White plastic-coated craft wire, 18-gauge, 12" len
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden skewers
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; stiff bristle round
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Wire cutters
- Utility knife
- Drill with 3/16" bit
- Fine sandpaper
- White transfer paper
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Use utility knife to cut 15" length from basswood sheet;
save remaining wood for another project. Mark and drill two
holes in top edge of sign, at 4-1/2" and 10-1/2" from one end.
Lightly sand rough edges; wipe away dust. Paint sign green; let dry.
- 2. Insert skewers into foam balls. Holding skewer and usingflat brush, paint heads white. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- 3. Glue bead eyes and berry nose to each snowman as shown. Useblack marker to draw mouths and eyebrows. Use dry, stiff brushand very small amount red paint to paint cheeks.
- 4. Lightly stuff mittens with fiberfil. Glue heads into cuffs,reversing thumb direction for two snowmen as shown. Glue twoblack buttons to each blue mitten; glue red buttons to black mittens.
- 5. Cut four 1-1/2" x 12" flannel strips for scarves; tie around snowmen.
- 6. Use pencil and white transfer paper to transfer letteringpattern to sign as shown. Trace lettering with white marker.Outline letters with black marker.
- 7. Insert wire ends through holes in sign; twist to secure.Glue snowmen to sign; glue snowflakes to snowmen and sign.