Download the Pattern (PDF)
Looking like a well-weathered piece of architectural detail who would guess that this angel with a faux rust finish is easily and inexpensively made from STYROFOAMâ„¢ Brand foam?
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet, 18" x 12" x 1/2" )
- Wire-edged metallic bronze ribbon, 1/2" x 1/2 yd.
- Water-based acrylic primer
- Water-based acrylic sealer (optional)
- Faux finishes: iron; rust
- (Note: Model shown used faux finishes from Modern
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Pencil with dull point
- Utility knife and several new blades or serrated
- Old candle
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Stiff-bristled paintbrush
- Disposable sponge brush
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. Use marker to trace pattern outlines onto foam sheet;
details will be added later. Carefully cut along traced lines
with sharp utility knife or serrated knife. Wax the knife
blade first with an old candle for smooth, easy cutting. Note:
When cutting around a tight curve, first make several cuts
from traced line out to edge of foam sheet; continue cutting
along curve, removing small foam sections one at a time. Sand
rough edges with a scrap piece of foam.
- 2. Use pencil tip and medium pressure to indent line thatseparates wings. Use pencil eraser or fingers to gently indentfoam in area inside crook of arm.
- 3. Use stiff brush to apply one coat primer to front and edgesof angel. Let dry.
- 4. Use disposable brush to apply two to three generous coatsof iron finish to all primed surfaces. Follow manufacturer'sinstructions for drying time.
- 5. When dry, use disposable brush to apply one to three coatsof rust finish over iron finish. More coats result in more"rust"; apply as many as needed to achieve desired effect.Follow manufacturer's instructions for drying time.
- 6. If desired, use disposable brush to apply one coat sealerto angel. Let dry completely. Note: Sealer will change colorof final finish; model pictured did not use sealer.
- 7. Knot center of ribbon and glue knot to top center back ofangel. Tie ribbon ends in a bow as shown.