Bewitching Witch Hat Wall Hanging
No wicked witches here -- only a cool-and-crafty conjurer could create such Halloween finery. Prop an old straw broom nearby for extra-eerie fun!
Completion time – 2-4 hours
Designer – Ed Smith
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Black foam-core board (or stiff cardboard), 1/4"
- Spray paints**: purple; matte-finish black
- Pom poms: 2" black, two; 10mm neon green, four
- Black chenille stems: 12", one; 15mm bump, eight
- Ribbon: purple sheer, 1-1/2" x 2 yds.; orange sati
- Silk florals, two each: orange mums with leaves;
- orange berry sprays
- Twigs, 12" long, two or three
- Clear acrylic gems, three
- Black pearl-head pins, 1" long, four
- Glitter: black; green
- **Always use a latex spray paint on STYROFOAM bran
- a solvent-based paint may "melt" a portion of the
- Wooden skewer
- Wire cutters
- Craft knife
- Spray adhesive
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Use compass to draw 9"-diameter circle on foam-core board;
cut out with craft knife. Draw straight line across circle, 3"
from one edge. Cut circle (hat brim) along line.
- 2. Center and glue foam cone to hat brim, flush with straightbrim edge. Note: Straight edge allows hat to hang againstwall. For extra support, insert wooden skewer through tip of cone.
- 3. In well-ventilated, protected area, spray hat with twocoats black; let dry between coats. Spray twigs purple; let dry.
- 4. Following manufacturer's instructions, spray hat withadhesive; sprinkle with black and green glitter. Repeat as needed; let dry.
- 5. Twist 12" chenille stem into hanging loop. Glue loop intoback of hat, 5" below tip; adjust as needed so hat hangs against wall.
- 6. Glue orange ribbon around brim edge; trim excess. Gluepurple, then orange, ribbon around cone base for hatband; trim excess.
- 7. Using photo as guide, glue twigs to left side of hat. Cutone mum to 2" length; cut remaining mum to 5". Glue taller mumto left side near twigs; glue 2" mum to brim at base of twigs.
Glue leaves and berry sprays among mums and twigs.
- 8. Loosely twist remaining purple ribbon into three-loop bowwith 12" tails. Glue ribbon loops to left edge of hat, undermum, so ribbon "cascades" over brim. Spot glue loops and tails
to underside of hat brim. Repeat with orange ribbon. Cut a "v"
into each end of purple ribbon. Glue gems to ribbons as desired.
- 9. Cut bump chenille stems into 16 two-bump segments. Bend andshape each section into a spider leg. Glue eight legs, evenlyspaced, around base of each black pom pom.
- 10. Glue two green pom poms to each spider for eyes; glueblack pins into eyes. Glue spiders to hat and purple ribbon as shown.