Download the Pattern (PDF)
It looks like the 'bunny slope' for these bundled-up sledding buddies. It's easy to transform simple foam shapes into this one-of-a-kind winter decoration.
Completion time – 3-4 hours
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 3", one; 2", one; 1-1/2", three
- Cone, 6" x 3"
- Eggs: 6", one; 3", two; 2", two
- White synthetic fur, 1/4 yd.
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets, one each: peach; green; pin
- Fleece fabric, 45" wide: purple, 1/5 yd.;
- pink/purple print, 1/8 yd.
- White cord, 1/2 yd.
- Pink pompoms, 3mm, two
- White chenille stems, two
- Black beads: 8mm, two; 6mm, four
- Buttons, 3/4", two
- White confetti snowflakes, eight
- Wire, 26-gauge, 2" length
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Needles: sewing; embroidery, 3"-4" long
- Strong white thread
- Extra-long straight pins
- Wire cutters
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foam
eggs in half lengthwise. Cut 1-1/2" and one 3" foam ball in
half. Slice one-third from top of 6" foam ball; save both
pieces. Press one side of remaining 3" foam ball against table
to flatten slightly.
- 2. Cut patterns from felt and fur as indicated.
- 3. With nap running down, trace following "Mama" pieces onto
wrong side of fur: head, 4" x 10"; body, 4" x 12-1/2"; tail,
4-1/2" circle; paws, two 3" circles. Cut out pieces, cutting
through fur backing only. Cut two 4" x 6" pieces from fur
(baby bodies). Lightly label wrong side of fur pieces with pencil.
- 4. Place feet flat side down on wrong side of fur, then trace
ovals 1-1/2" beyond foam edge; cut out. Cut out second set of
ovals same size as feet (soles).
- 5. Place arms flat side down on purple fleece; trace and cut
out in same way as feet, omitting second set. In addition, cut
following from purple fleece: hat, 5" x 10-1/2"; sweater, 7" x
11"; cuffs, two 2-1/2" x 4-1/2"; baby's earmuffs, two 1-1/2"
circles; baby's scarf, 1-1/2" x 10". Cut following from print
fleece for remaining baby: scarf, 1-1/2" x 10"; hat, 2" x 6".
- 6. Glue fur strip cut in Step 3 around head. Finger-gather and
glue excess fur to opposite ends of head, smoothing as needed.
In same way, with narrow end of body pointing up, glue fur
around lower two-thirds of body. Glue excess fur to bottom of body.
- 7. Fold and glue 1/2" hem in bottom long edge of sweater
fleece; glue 2" hem in top edge. Beginning at back of body,
glue sweater around upper half of body, overlapping fur. Roll
top down to form turtleneck; spot glue to secure.
- 8. To cover remaining "Mama" foam shapes, center shapes
rounded side down on corresponding fur or fleece pieces. Bring
fur or fleece edges up to flat side of shape. Pin at four
opposite points. Adjust excess between pins; glue to secure. Let dry.
- 9. Remove pins. Glue soles to bottoms of feet; let dry.
- 10. Glue paws to narrow ends of arms, aligning gathered side
of paws with flat side of arms. Fold and glue 3/4" hem in both
long edges of each cuff. In same way as sweater, glue cuffs
around arms, overlapping fur.
- 11. With gathered edge at back of head, use scissors to poke
eyeholes into Mama's head. Glue larger beads into holes. Glue nose to face.
- 12. Using doubled thread, take needle through face from one
cheek to the other, leaving 4" thread length on each side.
Clip thread. Repeat. Spot glue "whiskers" to secure.
- 13. Gently bend each chenille stem in half; twist ends
together. Place chenille stems on wrong sides of two "Mama"
ears; 1/2" chenille stem length should extend beyond bottom of
ears. Glue second set of ears to first, sandwiching chenille
stems between. Use scissors to poke small holes in top of
head. Glue stem ends into holes; spot glue ears to secure.
Hold ears in place until dry.
- 14. Glue "Mama" head and arms to body as shown. Glue feet to
front and tail to back of body; bunny should stand up.
- 15. Fold and glue 1-1/2" hem in both long edges of "Mama" hat.
Beginning at back of head, glue hat around head. Glue
snowflake confetti to sweater front and hat.
- 16. For babies, glue remaining foam balls to top of small eggs
(bodies). Beginning at back of body, glue fur pieces cut in
Step 3 around babies. Glue excess fur to opposite ends of
body, gathering and smoothing as needed.
- 17. Cut fringe into scarf ends. Tie scarves around necks,
pulling tightly. Insert eyes in same way as larger bunny. Glue
pompom noses and ears to heads.
- 18. Cover buttons with 1-1/2" purple fleece circles; glue to
secure. Bend wire length into curve; glue to one bunny's head;
glue earmuffs over wire ends. For second bunny, fold and glue
1/2" hem in each long edge of hat strip; glue hat around head
in same way as larger bunny.
- 19. For carrot sled, place foam cone on peach felt at an
angle. Roll felt around cone, cutting excess felt on long
side. Trim felt at cone tip and base, leaving enough felt to
cover ends. Finger-gather felt at each end and glue to foam.
- 20. Cut two 4" x 12" strips from green felt; cut 3" fringe
along one long edge of each piece. Loosely roll green strips
together; glue ends to secure. Glue green felt to top of carrot.
- 21. Knot cord ends; glue ends to opposite sides of sled. Glue
baby bunnies to one flat side of sled. Glue cord into larger bunny's paw.