Felted Dove Ornaments
Download the Pattern (PDF)
Add a soft touch to your holiday celebration with cozy needlefelted doves. Layered over a strong foam base, bright wool designs make each handcrafted dove unique.
Completion time – 1-2 hours
Designer – Debra Quartermain
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1"
- Block or Sheet, scrap
- Wool fiber (roving): natural, dark green, dark red
- Embroidery floss, 1/2 yd. each: natural, brown
- Needlefelting tool
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Embroidery needle
- Soft cloth
- Firm paintbrush, 1"
Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution and follow manufacturer's instructions throughout.
- 1. Trace outline only of one pattern onto cardstock; cut out. Trace two doves onto foam block. Wax serrated knife, or craft knife, with candle stub or paraffin; cut out shapes. Rub cut edges with soft cloth to remove stray bits of foam. Wipe work space clean.
- 2. Place even layer of natural roving over front of first dove, wrapping ends around foam edges. Working over scrap piece of foam, needlefelt roving to foam, adding more fiber as needed. Be careful not to felt dove to scrap foam. Turn dove over and needlefelt back of shape in same way.
- 3. Repeat Step 2 to needlefelt front and back of second dove. Place dove on work surface with beak pointed in opposite direction from first.
- 4. Refer to patterns to needlefelt designs onto doves. Place thin strips of red roving along lines of ribbons; needlefelt with single needle.
- 5. For holly dove, form small amount of green roving into holly leaf shape and needlefelt to dove. Repeat to create two more leaves. Roll three tiny red roving balls; needlefelt to holly for berry cluster.
- 6. For berry branch dove, place two thin strips of green roving along branch lines; needlefelt with single needle. Felt tiny pieces of green roving along branches to create fir needles. Roll five tiny red roving balls; needlefelt to branches for berries.
- 7. Using brown floss, insert needle from back to front through eye. Wrap floss twice around needle and insert through eye from front to back; pull tight to create French knot. Repeat for second dove.
- 8. Cut natural floss in half. Sew each half through top of a dove; knot ends to create hanging loops.