Children are fascinated by ocean life, and you can use this hands-on craft to introduce them to the amorphous jellyfish. One ball will make two, so get a friend in on the fun. It’s a creative idea for classrooms and scout troops, too.
Completion time – 1 hour
Designer – Jennifer & Kitty O’Neil
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- STYROFOAM™* Brand Foam: 5” and 4” balls (one ball will make two jellyfish)
*Sold under the name
Make It: Fun® Foam
- Acrylic craft paint: hot pink (or other favorite color)
- Cellophane wrap to match paint color
- Iridescent curling ribbon in coordinating color
- Rubber bands, three small
- Googly eyes, two 25mm (per jellyfish)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Plastic knife*
- Wood skewer or chopstick
- Stiff bristle paint brush
- Double-sided tape
- Clear tape
*Note: An adult should closely supervise children working with a plastic knife.
- Cut in half the balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. (An adult should closely supervise this step.)
- Insert a wood skewer or chopstick into the flat side of each half ball to use as a handle. Paint the half balls hot pink and let dry.
- Make a jellyfish tail: Cut six, 18” lengths each of purple and white curling ribbon. Gather together and wrap a rubber band around one end. Repeat for each jellyfish. If making a baby jellyfish, trim the tail so it’s shorter.
- Remove the handle from each half ball, fill the holes with glue, and poke the rubber band end of each tail into the holes. If needed, use the handle to enlarge the hole first. Let glue dry.
- Wrap each half-ball in an 18″ x 18″ cellophane square. Gather the cellophane around the ribbon tail, and secure with a piece of curling ribbon. Trim the cellophane so it’s about 4” long at the bottom of the ball.
- Attach the googly eyes with double-stick tape.
- Knot together the ends of a 14” length of purple ribbon. Poke a hole in the top of each jellyfish, carefully cutting through the cellophane with tip of the scissors. Fill the hole with glue, and poke the knot into the hole. Let dry.
- Optional hair bow: Curl with scissors two, 12” lengths of purple ribbon and two, 12” lengths of white ribbon. Pinch the ribbons in the center and tape to the jellyfish’s head.