Watermelon Fabric Wreath
Nothing says summer like watermelon, and this colorful wreath celebrates sweet summertime. It’s a summer-easy DIY, too, made by inserting fabric squares into the foam wreath. Get the kids in on the fun and see if they’d like to help.
Completion time – 2 – 4 hours
Designer – Patty Schaffer
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- STYROFOAM™* Brand Foam: 12” wreath, beveled front
*Sold under the name
Make It: Fun® Foam
- Fabric: ½ yd. green; ¼ yd. each of red, hot pink and light pink; one fat quarter in black
- Bamboo skewer
- Optional: Rotary cutter and mat
- Cut red, hot pink, light pink and black fabrics into 2” squares. Cut half of the green fabric into 3” squares and the remaining green fabric into 2” squares.
- Start by inserting the 3″ green squares around the outside edge of the wreath:
- Place a fabric square along the outside edge of the wreath
- Center the bamboo skewer over the fabric square
- Push the skewer into the wreath, inserting the center of the fabric square in the wreath
- Repeat, till the edge of the wreath is filled in with the 3” fabric squares.
- Continue to add rows of fabric squares around the wreath in this order, working from the outside edge to the inside edge of the wreath:
- 2” green fabric squares
- 2” red fabric squares
- 2” hot pink fabric squares
- 2” light pink fabric squares
- Once the wreath is completely covered, randomly insert black fabric squares, scattering “seeds” around the wreath.