Candy Wrapper Photo Frame
Here’s a sweet way to recycle candy bar wrappers – decoupage them on a custom picture frame. You can easily adapt the size and shape of the frame to make it your own. Kids will love crafting with candy bar wrappers, but an adult is needed to cut out the frame.
Completion time – 2 - 4 hours
Designer – Kathleen George
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
*Sold under the name Make It:Fun® Foam
- Candy bar wrappers
- Silver wrapping paper or foil
- Cardstock in coordinating color (model shown used blue)
- Ribbon, 5/16” x 24”
- Thick, white craft glue or paper paste
- Mod Podge, matte finish
- Utility knife with new blade
- 1” putty knife or 1” stiff paint brush
- Craft pins
- Using the pencil and ruler, measure and mark an 18” x 8” rectangle on the foam sheet. Cut out the rectangle using a utility knife with a new, sharp blade and a ruler.
- Measure and mark three, 3-1/2” x 5” openings on the rectangle. The openings on the right and left should be 2” from each end. Cut out the openings.
- Smooth out the candy wrappers and trim away portions of the label that you don’t want to use. Optional: If the wrappers are too wrinkled, iron on the back side with a medium iron. Protect the ironing board with a clean piece of paper.
- Use a small putty knife or stiff paint brush to apply a thin layer of paper paste or thick, white craft glue on the back of a candy wrapper, spreading glue or paste all the way to the edges. Place the wrapper on the frame, and smooth out with fingers. Repeat, adding wrappers till the front, top, bottom, and cut outs are covered. Tip: Use a discarded magazine or phone book for pasting. After spreading paste or glue onto a wrapper, turn the page for an instant clean surface for the next wrapper. Let dry.
- Brush on a coat of Mod Podge, and let dry. If needed, brush on a second coat.
- Cut 1” strips of cardstock to cover the inside edges of each photo opening. Place the strips in the opening to determine where the corners will be, and fold the strips to fit. Paste strips in place.
- Cut silver foil or wrapping paper into strips 2-½” wide and 10-½” long. Pre-fold each strip at ¾” and 1 ¾” from the edge. Paste the silver paper onto the frame so that ¾” of silver is on the top of the frame, the ends are covered and then folded over to the back of the frame. Carefully fold corners flat. Secure with paper paste or glue.
- Glue and pin a length of ribbon to the back of the frame to make a hanger.