The littlest snowman decorating the tallest Christmas tree — how cute is that? For this afternoon craft simple foam shapes are transformed with felt and a few basic supplies.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 2"; 1-1/2"
- Block, 12" x 6-3/4" x 1-1/4"
- Cone, 12" x 4"
- Eggs, one each: 4"; 2-1/2"
- Glitter felt: 36" white, 1/2 yd.;
- navy, purple, red, one 9" x 12" sheet each; green,
- two sheets
- Pompoms: 1" and 1-1/2" white, one each; 3mm orange, two
- Black beads, two each: 4mm; 5mm
- Buttons: mini white, three; 1/4" black, two
- Glittered plastic snowflakes: 4", one; 1", four
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut2"-thick slice from wide end of foam cone and another slicefrom length of foam block. Cut thin slice from one side offoam balls (heads) and wide end of foam eggs (bodies).
- 2. Use white felt to "gift wrap" foam block; trim excess feltand glue edges to secure. Glue cone base to block, 2" from oneend as shown.
- 3. Use decorative-edge scissors, or regular scissors, to cutone green felt sheet into 1-1/2" x 12" strips. Starting atbase of cone and overlapping felt edges, wind and glue stripsaround tree until completely covered. Cut additional stripsfrom second green felt sheet as needed.
- 4. Cut following from white felt, using compass to drawrequired circles: small snowman body, 5" x 6"; small arms, 2" x 3", two;small head, 3" circle; large snowman body, 5" x 10";large head, 4" circle. Cut hat and mitten patterns fromfelt as indicated. In addition, cut the following from felt:green scarf, 1" x 12"; red hat, 3" x 7"; navy coat, 5" x 8";navy sleeves, 2" x 4", two.
- 5. Center heads flat side up on wrong side of white feltcircles. Gently finger-gather felt edges and bring up overflat side of foam; glue to secure. Trim excess felt.
- 6. With flat edge of head on work surface, choose smoothestside for face. Use scissors point to poke holes for eyes atcenter of face; glue beads into holes, using smaller beads forsmaller snowman. Use cotton swab to blush cheeks, if desired.Glue orange pompom noses to faces. Draw smiles with fabric marker.
- 7. Wrap bodies with corresponding felt pieces. Overlap andglue ends. Finger-gather felt at top and bottom of body; glueto secure. Glue heads to bodies.
- 8. Glue long edges of small snowman's hat together; foldbottom edge up 3/4". Glue hat to head and smaller white pompomto tip. Cut 1" fringe into scarf ends; tie around neck. Glueblack buttons to front of body and hat tip to scarf. Roll andglue arm pieces into cylinders. Glue mittens into arms andarms to body at upward angle as shown.
- 9. Glue short edges of large snowman's hat together.Finger-gather one end of hat and tie tightly with thread. Turnright side out. Glue remaining pompom to top of hat. Foldbottom edge up 1/2" and glue onto head. Wrap coat around bodywith 1" extending above body. Tie thread tightly around neck.Fold down collar. Glue two mini buttons to coat and one to hatbrim. Glue long edges of each sleeve together. Pinch-pleat oneshort end of arms and glue to snowman, under coat collar. Gluemittens into sleeves.
- 10. Glue large snowman to base beside tree as shown. Gluesmall snowman to large snowman's mittens. Glue large snowflaketo front top of tree. Glue small snowman's mittens to back oftree and front of snowflake. Glue remaining snowflakes totree. If desired, use decorative-edge scissors to cutadditional 1" snowflake circles from white felt; glue to tree and base.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog