Molded Christmas Ornament
Turn air-dry modeling compound into a tree-worthy work of art. Simple color combinations and your own kitchen supplies make it easy and fun.
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Air-dry modeling compound: white, green, red, yellow
- Mini scallop-edge cookie cutters of choice
- Satin ribbon, color of choice, 1/4" x 1/3 yd.
- Plastic-coated paper clip to match compound
- 1. Spread waxed paper on work surface. Use rolling pin to roll3" ball of desired color modeling compound to 1/8"-thick,6"-diameter circle. Turn clay often to prevent sticking.
- 2. For marble look, begin with equal amounts of two or morecolors of modeling compound. Roll each color into long rope.Place colors side by side; twist together. Fold twistedcompound in half and roll flat; repeat. Cut circle asdescribed in Step 1, or use for decorative cutouts in Step 4.
- 3. Drape 6" circle over foam ball. Press compound around ball,using scissors to trim excess. Press out air bubbles as youwork; use pin to poke small hole in trapped air bubbles.Gently roll ball against tabletop to smooth fingerprints.
- 4. Roll remaining compound colors to 1/8" thickness. Usecookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Using photo asguide, position cutouts on ball. Roll small balls of compoundand press to ball if desired.
- 5. Use wire cutters to cut paper clip in half; glue one halfinto top of ornament for hanger. Cut 6" length from ribbon.Thread ribbon through hanger; knot ends. Tie remaining ribboninto bow; glue to base of hanger.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog