Sock-It-To-Me Rabbit & Chick Trio
Fun Easter rabbits and chick are quickly made from socks and STYROFOAM™ and stand tall on dowel legs.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- For one Rabbit -
- 1- 9" Cone
- 1- 2 1/2" Ball
- For one Chick -
- 1- 6" Egg
- For one Rabbit -
- 1 Trouser sock or tights, white
- Thread, white
- Acrylic craft paint, white
- 1- 5/16" wooden dowel, 10" long
- 2 white chenille stems
- 1 pair of 20mm oval Wiggle eyes
- Pom poms: white, one 1 1-1/2" , two 1", six 1/2"; pink,
- one 3/4"
- Crewel wool or thick string, gray
- For one Chick -
- Nylon sock, pastel yellow
- Thread, pastel yellow
- 1- " Wooden dowel, 12" long
- Acrylic craft paint, brown
- 1 pair of 20 mm oval Wiggle eyes
- 2 Pom poms, 1/2" yellow
- Felt, 6 orange scrap
- Craft feathers, yellow
- Satin ribbon, bows, silk flowers (optional)
- 1. Cut cuff from trouser sock. Cut a 5 1/2" piece from sock; cut in half length-wise and save for ears. Turn remaining toe section inside out, insert cone point first and pull sock tightly down over the base of cone; using a chopstick or wooden dowel, push excess stocking into the base of the cone until at least 1" has been tucked into cone and there are no wrinkles at the top of the cone. Adjust toe seam so it's centered at top of cone. If using tights, cut a 6" length from the toe and cover cone as above.
- 2. For each ear: Fold in half lengthwise reserved 5 1/2" stocking piece and stitch a 1/4" seam along sides and across one end; trim close to stitching and turn right side out. Fold chenille stem, creating long U-shape, and insert into stocking; fold over ends of stocking and twist together tightly ends of chenille stem. Clip a tiny hole in stocking at the top of cone for each ear. Put a small dab of glue over hole in stocking and push ear through hole and into cone. Arrange ears as desired.
- 3. Whiskers: Cut six 2" lengths of gray string or crewel wool; dip in white craft glue and squeeze out excess glue. Place strings on plastic wrap or wax paper to dry.
- 4. Glue pink pom pom nose to center of cone. Glue whiskers below the nose. Glue on 1" white pom pom cheeks and wiggly eyes. Trim whiskers, if desired.
- 5. Paint white two 5" lengths of dowel. Cut in half the 2 1/2" foam ball (hint: for smoother cuts, wax the knife blade with an old candle). Glue three 1/2" white pom poms to the front of each half ball for toes.
- 6. Snip two tiny holes in stocking at the bottom of the cone. Place a dot of glue on the hole and push dowel legs through holes and into cone. Place a dot of glue on center top of each foot and push other end of dowel deep into foot. Adjust for balance.
- 7. Embellish with ribbon, bows and flowers at chin or next to ears (optional).Chick -
- 1. Measuring from the cuff, cut a 6" length of yellow sock. Insert egg into tube. Place a small amount of glue on the center of the wide end of egg; using the chopstick or wooden skewer, push the sock edges into the wide end of egg until sock holds firmly. Stretch sock up and over narrow end of egg; tie off with thread; cut off excess, leaving a short tuft.
- 2. Cut in half the 2 1/2" foam ball (hint: for smoother cuts, wax the knife blade with an old candle). Paint half balls and two, 6" lengths of dowel brown.
- 3. Using pattern, cut beak from orange felt; glue to center of egg. Glue on yellow pom poms cheeks and wiggly eyes.
- 4. Glue feathers to the sides for wings, to the bottom for a tail, and to the top.
- 5. Add silk flower to one foot (optional).
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog