These colorful pumpkins make a perfect addition to afall centerpiece or can be used on their own to decoratefor Halloween. A simple tucking method using fabric andSTYROFOAM™ Brand Products makes creating these puffypumpkins a quick afternoon project.Note: Patterns can be modified for any size ball of STYROFOAM™ Brand Products.
- 1. Mark off 6 equal sections on ball of STYROFOAM™. Mark centerof top and bottom of ball; place 3 rubber bands around ball,crossing bands at the top and bottom, and positioning them so theyform 6 equal sections. Draw lines around ball next to rubber bands.
- 2. Cut off a 1/2" slice from bottom and top of ball with knife.Remark center of top and bottom; using tip of pencil, create holeat each end that is 3/4" wide and deep. Redraw section linesthat were sliced off. Using sharp pencil, trace over vertical lines,creating 1/4" deep grooves.
- 3. Enlarge patterns to actual size: A is 8-1/4" x 2-1/2", B is9-1/4" x 3" and C is 10-3/4" x 4-3/4".
- 4. Cut 6 pieces of batting from Patterns A and B. Center and gluebatting piece A to each section of the ball. Center and glue batting piece B on top of smaller pieces, staying within section lines.
- 5. Cut 6 pieces of fabric from Pattern C.
- 6. Beginning with one section and working around the pumpkin,center a fabric piece over scored lines. Position knife onlines and push seam allowances into foam. For a clean, crisp "seam,"hold knife straight up and down. Push excess fabric into the holes attop and bottom of the ball; carefully trim excess fabric.
- 7. Cut a 1-1/2" x 10" strip of corrugated paper. Roll tightlyto create stem, gluing end to hold. Cover one end in glue andpush into top of pumpkin. Cut leaves from remaining paper. Coat one tipof leaf in glue and push into top of pumpkin beside stem.
- 8. Wind florist wire around pencil to make tendrils and glueinto hole next to stem.