This beautiful wall hanging featuring the classic Hovering Hawksdesign looks like a cherished heirloom quilt, but requires nosewing. You can fashion this attractive quilt in an afternoonby tucking fabric pieces into a sheet of STYROFOAM™ Brand Products.Unlike a traditional fabric quilt, this quilt square will hang flatagainst a wall without a dowel or frame.
- 1. Referring to the diagram, use a felt tip marker andyardstick to draw the design on STYROFOAM™. Score all designlines with a sharp pencil.
- 2. Using tracing or typing paper, copy the patterns for quiltblock design and cut out.
- 3. Pin pattern pieces to right side of fabric and cut out,adding 3/8" seam allowance to all fabric pieces.
- 4. Beginning in the center of the design, center a fabricpiece over scored lines. Position knife on the scored linesand push seam allowances into the foam. For a clean, crisp"seam," hold the putty knife straight up and down and work ona large flat surface. Tuck in stray fabric with a table orpalette knife. Carefully trim excess fabric.
- 5. Working out from the center, repeat tucking process withthe remaining fabric pieces until quilt square design is in place.
- 6. To add the inner border, cut from the solid light bluefabric 2 - 1-1/4" x 12-3/4" strips and 2 - 1-1/4" x 13-3/4"strips. Tuck the two shorter pieces in place, followed by thetwo longer pieces.
- 7. To add the outer border, cut from the navy print fabric 2 -3" x 13-3/4" strips and 2 - 3" x 18" strips. Tuck the 3/8"seam allowances in place on the scored lines and around theedge of the wall hanging, pull taut and glue excess fabric tothe back. First tuck the short pieces, then the longer pieces.
- 8. Press, fuse or sew 1/4" hem around 15" fabric square. Gluein place on back, covering unfinished edges.
- 9. Glue hanger to the back, about 1" from top edge. Hang andenjoy your new quilt!