Faux Leather Spheres
A handsome whatnot box gets its rich leather look from torn pieces of construction paper and shoe polish wax.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Construction paper, brown or tan
- Shoe polish, brown, black and/or neutral
- Soft, clean rag or shoe brush
- Chopstick or wooden dowel
- 1. Insert chopstick or wooden dowel in foam ball; this will serve as your handle.
- 2. Tear construction paper into 1" - 1-1/2" rectangles.
- 3. Place thick white craft glue in bowl; thin with small amount of water.
- 4. Place torn paper in bowl, coating both sides.
- 5. Using paintbrush, cover ball with thin white craft glue.
- 6. Slide through fingers a piece of glue-covered constructionpaper, removing excess glue. Place on ball, smoothing out wrinklesand bubbles. Continue, overlapping edges of paper rectangles,until ball is completely covered.
- 7. Remove dowel; cover hole with construction paper.
- 8. Place ball on rim of glass or jar to dry; turn occasionally.When almost dry, roll ball firmly against a smooth surface tosmooth any rough spots.
- 9. To create the look of leather, apply generous amount of brown,black or neutral shoe wax with soft, clean rag or shoe brush. Letwax set; buff to a shine with soft rag or shoe brush.
- 10. Vary the color of construction paper and shoe polish toachieve different leather looks.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog