Cheery Snowman Topiaries
You'll smile right back at these snowy figures; it's no wonder they were featured on the cover of Crafts 'N Things magazine!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet, 1/2" x 12" x 18"
- Small snowman: egg, 2-3/8" x 1-7/8"; ball, 1-1/2"
- Medium snowman: egg, 3-13/16" x 2-13/16"; ball, 2"
- Large snowman: egg, 5" x 3-3/4"; ball, 3"
- Terra cotta pots: 2-1/4" tall (small snowman);
- 2-1/2" tall (medium snowman); 4" tall (large snowman)
- Polymer clay, small package, orange
- Spackling compound
- Fine sandpaper
- Glitter, white or clear
- Acrylic craft paint: white, red, black, blue, pink, green
- Textured snow paint
- Fabric: brightly colored scraps of knit, jersey or socks
- (hats and scarfs)
- Yarn, small amount (scarf fringe)
- Black buttons, assorted sizes (eyes and buttons)
- Braid, to fit around rim of pot
- 1. Paint pot white, inside and out. Cut a circle of foam from the 1/2" sheet that will fit in the pot, 1/2" from the top. For easier cutting, wax the serrated knife with an old candle. Glue foam circle in pot.
- 2. Cut a small slice from narrow end of egg. Glue ball to cut end of egg.
- 3. Cut arms from 1/2" foam sheet. Round the cut edges with fingers and sand any rough edges using a scrap of STYROFOAMâ„¢ brand foam.
- 4. Spread a thin coat of spackling compound on snowman and arms; let dry. Sand.
- 5. Glue arms to snowman. Position arms to wave, reach out or simply hang to the sides.
- 6. Paint snowman white; let dry.
- 7. Make carrot nose from polymer clay; follow baking instructions on package.
- 8. Glue on carrot nose and eyes. Paint on mouth, cheeks and freckles (freckles are optional). Paint on mittens. Glue on buttons.
- 9. To make hats, cut length of sock cuff or knit fabric: a. Small snowman: 2" x 5" b. Medium snowman: 3" x 7" c. Large snowman: 5" x 10"Sew a running stitch along one long edge of fabric strip. Pull threads to gather hat top; knot threads. Turn up open end, making cuff. Glue pompom on top and glue hat to head.
- 10. To make scarf, cut strip of knit fabric, felt, fleece, or ribbon: a. Small & medium snowmen: 1" x 10" b. Large snowman: 1-1/2" x 15"Glue long edges together; tuck in and glue edges. Add yarn fringe to ends (optional). Tie scarf around snowman's neck.
- 11. Glue snowman in pot. Glue braid around rim of pot. Fill in top of pot with textured snow; while wet, sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog