The chubby tubby physique of our snowman only means there's more to love including how easy he is to make from pint-size socks and women's tights.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: on each 6", 2-1/2", 1"
- Clothing: infant's colored booties with white cuffs;
- child's white socks with decorative cuffs;
- women's white tights
- Red/white striped knit fabric, 21" x 2-1/2"
- Polyester fiberfill
- Green felt, 4" square
- Red pom pom, 1"
- Black beads: 1/16", two; 1/4", three
- Wooden skewer
- Orange acrylic paint
- Pink chalk or powdered blush
- Ultra-fine iridescent glitter (optional)
- 1. Wax knife blade of serrated knife with old candle; cut asmall slice from bottom of 6" foam ball to flatten slightly.Press and twist 2-1/2" foam ball on center top of 6" balluntil snug and then glue.
- 2. Cut a 14" length from thigh portion of white tights. Slidefabric tube over foam snowman to cover. Using a wooden skewer,push excess fabric into center bottom of 6" body approximately1-1/2" deep. Glue to secure. Repeat to secure fabric to centertop of 2-1/2" head.
- 3. Cut approximately 1" from pointed end of wooden skewer andpaint orange for snowman's nose. Using fine-point scissors,cut a tiny slit in fabric at center front of face and insertnose into foam. Spot glue to secure.
- 4. Glue two 1/16" beads to face for eyes and three 1/4" beadsvertically down center front of upper body for buttons.
- 5. Draw smile on face with black marking pen. Brush pink chalkor blush on cheeks.
- 6. Stuff an infant's bootie with fiberfill. Spread open cuffand apply glue to inside top edge. Adhere bootie to bottomfront of body with toes at top (see photo). Repeat forremaining bootie. Temporarily pin in place until dry.
- 7. Cut child's sock just above heel and then cut cuff piece inhalf lengthwise. Sew long edges of each cuff piece together toform two tubes for arms. Note: Sew fabrics right sidestogether, using a 1/4" seam allowance throughout project. Turnand stuff lightly with fiberfill. Turn under top of arms 1/2"and then glue closed. Fold up bottom edge to form cuffs.
- 8. Using pattern, cut two mittens from green felt. Tuck top ofa mitten in bottom of each arm and glue. Glue arms to oppositesides of body with mittens meeting at center of tummy just below buttons.
- 9. Cut remaining child's sock just above heel. Hand sewgathering stitches along cut edge of cuff section and thenpull threads to close. Knot and trim thread. Turn hat and place onsnowman's head. Glue a pom pom to center top over gathered area.
- 10. Fold striped fabric in half lengthwise and sew edges,leaving an opening at one end. Turn and slipstitch openingclosed. Tie scarf around snowman's neck.
- 11. If desired, brush a coat of white craft glue over 1" foamball, roll in glitter to cover, and then shake off any excess.Place snowball between mittens, gluing if necessary.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog