Formal wear on tuxedoed penguins is made from black tights and white craft foam. Plaid flannel scarves finish their ensemble.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 6"; 4";1-1/2"; 1", one each
- Child's black tights
- Black crochet thread
- Craft foam: black; white, one sheet each
- 3/16" wooden dowel, 7" length
- Wooden shapes: small circles, two; medium diamond, one;
- large diamonds, four; 1-1/2" x 1/8" heart, one
- Plaid flannel fabric: 18" x 3" for mama's scarf;
- 6" x 1" for baby's scarf
- Silk holly cluster
- Acrylic paints: black, bright red, yellow, white
- Paintbrushes: Nos. 10 and 6 shader; No. 3/0 liner
Mama Penguin -
- 1. Join 4" foam ball to 6" ball by applying glue to half ofwooden dowel. Insert dowel into 4" ball, letting ungluedportion protrude. Apply glue to remainder of dowel and theninsert it into 6" foam ball. Squeeze additional glue between balls to strengthen bond, forming penguin head and body. Allow to dry.
- 2. Cut a 15" length from black tights, measuring from toe up.Slide tights over penguin to cover, gathering open end at topof 4" head. Tie with black crochet thread and then trim excessfabric 1-1/2" above foam. Make several vertical cuts intied-off fabric to form a tuft of feathers. Glue a hollycluster to base of feathers.
- 3. Using patterns, cut face, tummy, and wings from craft foamas indicated. Draw a wavy line around edges of face and tummywith black marker. Outline wings with white marker. Align andglue face and tummy to front of penguin. Glue top of wings toopposite sides of body at neck.
- 4. Using photo and pattern as a guide, drybrush cheeks withred paint. Paint two small wooden circles black, let dry, andthen dot a white highlight on each one. Glue circles closetogether to face for eyes with highlights at 10 o'clockposition. Paint medium wooden diamond yellow and allow to dry.Draw a wavy line around edges with black marker. Centerdiamond below eyes for beak; glue in place. Draw eyebrows,crow's-feet, mouth, and beak details with black marker.
- 5. Glue three buttons vertically to center front of whitetummy. Tie 18" x 3" flannel scarf around penguin's neck andknot on right side. Glue 3" lengths of wire to back of scarftails and then shape as desired. Cut slits in ends of scarftails to fringe.
- 6. Paint four large wooden diamonds yellow and allow to dry.See diagram to pair and glue diamonds to form webbed feet.Glue feet to bottom of body with points visible at front.Baby Penguin -
- 1. Glue 1/2" foam ball to 1" ball. Follow Step 2 to cover babypenguin with a 4" length cut from black tights, trimmingexcess fabric 1/2" above head.
- 2. Follow Step 3 to cut face and tummy from craft foam, detailwith black marker, and glue to front of baby penguin.
- 3. Drybrush cheeks with red and paint beak yellow. Allow todry. Using pattern as a guide and black marker, dot eyes andbeak, and draw eyebrows, crow's-feet, and mouth.
- 4. Paint wooden heart yellow, let dry, and then glue to bottomof body with curves at front for feet. Tie 6" x 1" flannelscarf around neck and tie on left side. Cut slits in ends ofscarf tails to fringe.
- 5. Wrap tip of mama's left wing forward and glue to her tummy.Glue baby tucked inside curled wing.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog