Color Art Photo Frames
Showcase photos in style with colorful splashes of tissue paper decoupaged onto foam frames. Even the youngest Picassos will enjoy creating these modern art photo surrounds.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet, 1/2" x 12" x 36" sheet (makes five square or four cathedral frames)
- Art tissue paper: square frame: pink, red, light and
- dark values of yellow, orange, and green; cathedral
- frame: yellow, red, orange, purple, peace/love print
- Coordinating cardstock: square frame: 5" square;
- cathedral frame: 5" x 6-1/2"
- Satin decoupage medium
Square Frame -
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Usingpattern, cut frame (including photo opening) from foam sheet,along with a 2" x 5" easel back. Sand cut edges with a scrappiece of foam until smooth; wipe with a tack cloth.
- 2. Apply a coat of decoupage medium over entire foam frame andeasel back. Place on wax paper to dry.
- 3. Tear light value of each tissue paper color (except red)into small pieces no larger than 2" square. Brush decoupagemedium onto frame and randomly apply torn tissue paper,smoothing out any wrinkles. Continue overlapping pieces untilcompletely covered and then apply a topcoat of decoupagemedium. Repeat to cover easel back with tissue paper. Let dry.
- 4. Using flower patterns, cut or tear multiple flower centers,petals, and leaves from tissue paper as indicated. Hint:Fanfold paper before cutting or tearing to produce severalshapes at once. Refer to photo to apply six-petal flowers withdecoupage medium onto opposite corners of frame, using threeto seven layers of flower centers and petals until desiredcolor is achieved. Combine yellow centers with orange petalsfor one flower and orange centers with red petals forremaining flower. Let dry.
- 5. Apply two additional coats of decoupage medium to frame andstand, letting dry after each coat.
- 6. Position photo behind frame and trace around opening with apencil. Trim photo, leaving a 1/4" border beyond penciledoutline. Then trim cardstock 1/4" larger than photo. Mountphoto centered on cardstock with glue stick. Using white craftglue, adhere cardstock to back of frame with photo centered in opening.
- 7. Glue easel back horizontally to back of frame, letting itrest at an angle 3/4"-1" from bottom.Cathedral Frame -
- 8. Follow instructions for Square Frame with the followingmodifications. Substitute a 2" x 6" easel back. Apply eachsolid color of tissue paper to foam frame and easel back. Omitflowers and add love/peace prints, strategically placing themfor maximum appeal.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog