Say hello to the little penguin that could! With his trusty snowflake skis warm fleece cap and lucky scarf he's coming to a winter wonderland near you.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Eggs, one each: 2-1/2"; 5-7/8"
- Dark blue acrylic paint
- Felt: orange, 9" x 12"; white plush, 10" x 12"; black plush, 10" x 12"
- Fabrics: blue fleece, 6" x 10"; red plaid flannel, 3" x 22"
- White pom pom, 1-1/2"
- Black beads, 8mm, two
- Wooden dowel, 1/4" x 12"
- White plastic snowflakes, 4", two
- Fine-gauge wire, 6" length
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foameggs in half lengthwise.
- 2. Place egg halves flat side down on wrong side of felt asfollows: two small, orange; one large, white plush; one large,black plush. Trace small eggs onto felt 1" beyond foam edge;trace large eggs 2" beyond foam edge. Trace second pair ofsmall eggs onto orange felt at foam edge (soles). Cut out eggs.
- 3. Cut pattern pieces as indicated.
- 4. Center each egg half rounded side down on wrong sides oflarger felt eggs. Bring felt edges up to flat sides of eggs.Pin at four opposite points. Adjust excess felt between pins;glue to secure. Let dry.
- 5. Remove pins. Glue soles to bottom of feet; let dry.
- 6. Glue large half eggs together to make penguin body. Measure1-1/2" down from narrow end of egg at front of body (whiteside). Use scissors point to poke two small holes in head,3/8" apart, for eyes. Glue bead eyes into holes. If desired,use finger or brush to apply blush to penguin's cheeks.
- 7. Glue beak pieces together along straight edges. Open beakslightly at rounded end. Glue pointed end of beak to face as shown.
- 8. Glue feet to bottom of body, one forward and one to back,so body rests level and slightly forward as shown. Gluesnowflake "skis" to bottom of feet.
- 9. Glue one white and one black wing wrong sides together;repeat for second wing. With black side out, finger pleat topedge of one wing. Measure down 3" from center top of head;glue wing where body halves join. Repeat for second wing.
- 10. Glue 6" edges of blue fleece together, creating a 5" x 6"tube; let dry. Tightly gather one open end of tube; wrap withwire to secure. Turn hat right side out. Fold brim up 1/2",then 1". Glue pom pom to top of hat. Glue hat to head.
- 11. Fold plaid fabric in half lengthwise and tie around neck.Spot glue to secure.
- 12. Use utility knife to cut dowel in half for ski poles.Paint poles blue. Measure 2-1/2" from one end of each pole;glue poles to wings as shown at 2-1/2" point.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog