Elegant Garden Topiary
Lovely touches of greenery breathe life into any event. Create several of these pretty topiaries in just one afternoon for centerpieces dessert tables and altar arrangements.
Completion Time -
Diane D. Flowers
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls, one each: 5"; 6"; 8" *
- * Note: If 8" foam balls are unavailable in your craft store,
- consult telephone directory for a local floral wholesaler or visit
- www.STYROFOAM-chenille.com, the largest online
- retailer for genuine STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam.
- Vase insert or foam block to fit opening of desired container
- White urn, 11" tall, or container of choice
- Wooden dowel, 24" length
- Ivory artificial flower stems: roses, six; rosebud, one;
- Queen Anne's lace, four
- Green artificial rose leaf stems, 12
- Dark green reindeer moss, four bags
- Ivory pearl string, 2-1/4 yds.
- Sheer wire-edged ribbon, 2" x 2-1/4 yds. each: ivory;
- pale yellow; sage green; metallic ivory, 1" x 1-1/3 yds.
- Green floral wire
- Floral pins, 25
- 1. Insert wooden skewers into each foam ball. Holding skewer,glue clusters of moss to foam balls, completely coveringsurface. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- 2. Push dowel through center of 8" ball, 6" ball, and lowerhalf of 5" ball, forming topiary. Remove foam balls.
- 3. Place foam insert snugly into urn. Wax serrated knife withcandle stub or paraffin. Trim top of insert as needed to allowlarge foam ball to rest on urn edges. Glue foam insert intourn. Glue lower 6" of dowel into center of insert; let dry.
- 4. Apply white glue to dowel. Push 8" ball down dowel until itrests on top of urn. Replace 6" and 5" balls as before. Letdry completely.
- 5. Drape pearl string twice around 6" ball, securing withfloral pins at top of ball. Second draping should be slightlylonger than first.
- 6. Cut three 9" lengths and three 18" lengths from each2"-wide ribbon. Join one 9" length of each color and fold inhalf to measure 4-1/2" long; wrap ends together with floralwire. Use floral pin to secure ribbon loop to top of 6" ball.Repeat to make two more ribbon loops. Secure loops, evenlyspaced, to 6" ball. Separate loops slightly.
- 7. Join one 18" ribbon length of each color. Bring ribbon endsto center and fold ribbons in half to measure 4-1/2" long;wrap folded end with floral wire. Use floral pin to secureribbon loop to bottom of 8" ball. Repeat to make two moreribbon loops. Secure loops, evenly spaced, to 8" ball.Separate loops slightly.
- 8. Use wire cutters to trim leaf and flower stems to 3" long.Glue and insert alternating roses and Queen Anne's lace, threeof each, into top of 8" ball. Glue three rose stems betweenribbon loops at top of 6" ball, hiding floral pins. Glue onestem of Queen Anne's lace into top of 5" ball.
- 9. Pin one rose leaf stem beneath each rose at top of 8" ballso leaves extend downward. Pin two rose leaf stems around eachQueen Anne's lace at top of 8" ball. Pin three rose leaf stemsaround base of Queen Anne's lace at top of 5" ball.
- 10. Tie 1"-wide ribbon into loopy bow; wrap center with floralwire. Pin bow to one side of Queen Anne's lace at top oftopiary. Separate loops slightly.
- 11. Glue rosebud firmly into center of Queen Anne's lace attop of 5" ball. Glue small pieces of moss to topiary to hide floral pins.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog