Floral ''Surprise'' Package Candleholders
Surprise guests at a bridal shower or wedding reception with this elegant garden-inspired centerpiece idea. Easy-to-shape foam sheets provide countless design possibilities.
Completion Time -
Diane D. Flowers
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Ivory artificial flowers, two stems each: roses;
- Queen Anne's lace; freesia
- Reindeer moss: light green, three bags; dark green,
- one bag
- Ivory pearl string, 1-2/3 yds.
- Wire-edged ribbon:
- 2-1/2"-wide organza: ivory, 3 yds.; pale yellow, 3-1/3 yds.;
- sage green, 1-1/3 yds.;
- 1/2"-wide sheer metallic ivory, 1-2/3 yds.
- Green floral wire
- Floral pins, 36
- Candleholder cups, three
- Dripless white taper candles, 8" tall, three
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut following shapesfrom 2"-thick foam sheet: small candleholder, one 3-1/2" square; medium,two 5" x 6" rectangles; large, two 4" x 10" rectangles.
- 2. For medium and large candleholders, glue rectanglestogether to make 4"-thick blocks; secure seams with two floralpins on each side. Apply additional glue along seams for addedstrength. Twist and glue candle cup into center top of each package; let dry.
- 3. Glue clusters of light and dark moss to packages,completely covering foam, outside of candle cups, and floral pins.Large Package -
- 1. Cut one 48" length from each ribbon color, including metallic ivory.In addition, cut two 29" lengths from ivory organza ribbon.Cut one 6" length and several 3" lengths from floral wire.
- 2. Beginning and ending at candle cup, wrap 29" ribbon lengthsaround opposite sides of package; secure ribbon ends andoverlapped area at bottom of package with floral pins.
- 3. Hold 48" ribbon lengths together as one; wrap center with6" wire length. Place wrapped ribbon to one side of candlecup. Wrap wire around cup, then again around center of ribbonbundle to secure. Insert wire ends into top of package.
- 4. Make several ribbon loops around candle cup; secure loopswith 3" wire lengths. Position loops to drape slightly oversides of package. Insert wire ends into top of package.Separate ribbon loops to create bow and to hide candle cup.
- 5. Cut inverted "v" into each ribbon end. Glue small pieces ofmoss to package to hide floral pins.Medium Package -
- 1. Cut one 70" length from yellow ribbon.
- 2. Center ribbon on top of package, to one side of candle cup;secure with floral pin. Wrap ribbon down around two sides ofpackage, twist ribbon together at bottom of package, and bringends up opposite sides to candle cup. Make four ribbon loopsaround candle cup; secure ribbon and loops with floral pins.
- 3. Make several loops in pearl string and pin to package,letting pearls drape over sides. Glue and pin loops to package to secure.
- 4. Use wire cutters to trim one rose stem and one Queen Anne'slace stem. Insert stems near candle cup on opposite sides ofpackage as shown. Position Queen Anne's lace and ribbon loopsto hide candle cup.
- 5. Cut inverted "v" into each ribbon end. Glue small pieces ofmoss to package to hide floral pins.Small Package -
- 1. Cut one 10" length from metallic ivory ribbon.
- 2. Tie ribbon into bow around base of second rose stem. Usewire cutters to trim rose and remaining flower stems. Insertrose into package near candle cup.
- 3. Insert Queen Anne's lace stem on opposite side of candlecup, positioning flowers to hide cup. Insert freesia stemsbetween rose and Queen Anne's lace, letting flowers extendbeyond package sides as shown.
- 4. Cut inverted "v" into each ribbon end. Glue small pieces ofmoss to package to hide floral pins.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog