Fabric-Point Pineapple Ornaments
A favorite technique is updated with today’s soft country colors. Fold fabric or ribbon to make points and pin to foam balls or eggs creating a “pineapple” texture.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Ball, 4" or
- Egg, 4" (purple sample)
- Cotton fabrics, three different prints, 45" wide, 1/4 yd. each
- Grosgrain ribbon, color of choice, 5/8" x 1 yd.
- 1. Press fabric as needed. Measure and mark twenty 1-3/4" x 3"rectangles on wrong side of each fabric. Cut out. Note:Ornament will require 60-65 rectangles.
- 2. Place one fabric strip, wrong side up, horizontally on worksurface. Fold upper corners of rectangle down to meet atcenter bottom edge, forming 3" wide, 1-1/2" tall triangle.Press. Repeat for each fabric piece.
- 3. Place rubber band around center of foam ball or egg. Useblack marker to draw guideline along rubber band; remove band.
- 4. Aligning long edges with guideline, pin triangles of oneprint around foam shape. Points of triangles should overlapvery slightly. Using photo as guide, continue to pin rows ofcontrasting triangles around foam shape, above and below firstgroup. Overlap raw edges, hiding sequin pins, to completely cover foam.
- 5. Trim triangle points as needed. Follow manufacturer'sinstructions to apply anti-fray solution to points. Let dry.
- 6. Apply small amount of craft-foam glue under each triangle,then mold ornament with hands to create smooth shape. Let dry.
- 7. Cut two 12" and one 8" length from ribbon. Overlap and glueends of 8" length, forming hanging loop. Use glue gun toadhere loop to top of ornament. Tie each remaining ribbonlength into a bow. Glue bows on each side of hanging loop.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog