Wiggly Worm Marionette
Who isn't fascinated by the antics of an inchworm? This Wiggly Worm glides along with easy-to-maneuver marionette strings. A great rainy day project - cheerful colors interesting shapes and lots of hands-on activity mean fun!
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 4", one; 2-1/2", eight
- Acrylic paints, colors of choice
- Chenille stems, color of choice, five
- Felt, color of choice, 9" x 12" sheet
- Thick yarn, color of choice, 7' length
- Pom poms, color of choice, 3/4", three
- Wiggle eyes, 1", two
- Wooden dowel rod, 3/8" x 24"
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut smallslices from one side of 4" (head) and one 2-1/2" foam ball(neck). Twist cut sides together until snug; glue to secure.Insert wooden skewers into head and remaining foam balls (body segments).
- 2. Holding skewers, paint head and body segments as desired.Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- 3. Use wire cutters to cut four chenille stems into quarters.Fold one length in half, forming a loop. Noting position ofhead in photo, glue and push ends of chenille stem loop intocenter of neck, leaving 1/4" protruding. To connect first bodysegment to neck, fold second chenille stem section in half.Insert one stem end through loop sticking out of neck. Glueends of second loop into one side of body segment. Repeatuntil body is complete.
- 4. Glue wiggle eyes and pom pom nose to face. Cut mouth,eyebrows, tail, and "hair" from felt, if desired. Punchcircles from felt for spots. Glue features and spots to worm.
- 5. Cut two 6" lengths from chenille stems for antennae; glueinto top of head. Glue remaining pom poms to tips of antennae.
- 6. Cut one 3' and two 2' lengths from yarn. Glue one end ofeach 2' length into top of head and tail. Tie 3' yarn lengtharound center joint of body.
- 7. Fold top 12 inches of center yarn length down and knotaround remaining yarn length, forming loop. Center dowelinside loop. Tie remaining yarn lengths tightly around dowel.
- 8. Make worm "inch along" by pulling up center yarn loop tocreate hump in worm. Move marionette forward while releasingcenter yarn. Repeat.
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog