''Take Time'' Altered Book
Celebrate a special occasion or highlight your own life with this cleverly-designed faux-altered book. Lightweight and durable this foam tome makes a great gift.
Completion Time -
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1-1/2"
- Old book, interior pages approximately 1-1/2" thick
- Antique-finish parchment paper, three sheets
- Premixed tile grout
- Acrylic paint to match parchment paper
- Gel stain medium
- Memorabilia: old photos; quote; stickers; dimensional items
- 1. Carefully remove pages from book, preserving binding. Waxserrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Trace removedpages onto foam sheet; cut out. Remove center from foamcut-out, leaving 1" border on all sides. Use scrap foam tosand all cut edges smooth.
- 2. Slightly thin tile grout with water. Paint all foamsurfaces with thinned tile grout; let dry and sand smooth. Repeat.
- 3. Paint top, bottom and right edge of foam with non-thinnedgrout. Use knife edge to indent "page" lines in grout toresemble unopened book. Let dry completely.
- 4. Paint foam insert with acrylic paint. Followmanufacturer's instructions to apply gel stain to painted surfaces. Let dry.
- 5. Stack and wrap papers around "spine" of foam insert,creating three pages in front and three in back; do not glue.Use straight-edge scissors to trim pages to size of insert.Barely trim all paper edges with deckle-edge scissors.
- 6. Place right side of one paper page over front of foaminsert; cut matching window opening in paper. Glue page tofoam, aligning openings. Apply glue to foam spine and back;wrap rest of page around insert. Apply glue to spine to attachtwo remaining pages and book cover. Close book, weight down and let dry completely.
- 7. Thin gel stain slightly with water and apply around windowopening. Apply mixture to pages and inside front cover to give vintage look.
- 8. Glue embellishments, quote, photos or other desired memorabilia inside book.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:"Weathered Plaster" Heart PlaquesPhoto CubesPaper Art Clock
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog