Easy Clay Snowman Ornaments
Leave the snowballs outdoors! Instead cozy up indoors for some creative fun with STYROFOAM™ Brand foam. Build a perfect snow friend in just a few easy steps.
STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- Balls: 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"; four 1"
- Air-dry ultra-light modeling compound
- Metal findings: eye pins, 1", five; large jump ring;
- small jump rings, two
- Narrow satin ribbon or cording
- 1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thinslices from top of 2-1/2" and bottom of 1-1/2" foam balls.Twist balls together to ensure snug fit; use glue gun to secure.
- 2. For arms, press two 1" foam balls against body sides asshown and glue to secure. Note: Legs will be attached later.
- 3. Roll small ball of modeling compound ("clay") into smooth1/8"-thick pancake shape using craft roller or pasta machine.Place clay over top of head and use fingertips to gently moldit against foam. Use craft knife to trim excess clay from neckarea to ensure smooth shape.
- 4. Roll second clay pancake to cover snowman body and arms insame way, seaming clay at neck. Repeat to cover two remainingfoam balls for feet.
- 5. Look over snowman and be sure all clay seams are smooth;use back of teaspoon to smooth clay. If needed, spot glue clayedges with white glue; let dry.
- 6. Refer to photo and use fingertips to mold details such asscarf, earmuffs, hat, buttons, etc. Use white glue to attachdetails; let dry.
- 7. Roll tiny balls of clay for eyes and cheeks; flatten cheekballs and glue cheeks and eyes to face; let dry. Use craftknife to cut tiny "C" shape for mouth.
- 8. Glue and insert eye pin into top of each foot. Glue andinsert two eye pins into bottom of body, about 1" apart. Joineye pins in feet to body using two small jump rings, openingand closing rings with needlenose pliers.
- 9. Glue and insert remaining eye pin into top of head. Attachlarge jump ring to eye pin. Seal ornament with dcoupagemedium, if desired, and let dry.
- 10. Tie ribbon or cord hanger through large jump ring.If you enjoyed this project, look here for more inspiring ideas:Icicle Snowman OrnamentRose-Topped OrnamentSnowman Candleholders
Inspiration: Make our Projects
Inspiration: Read our Blog